Business Role versus Role in Application

Started by Johan2, February 16, 2017, 12:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johan2

We have Business Roles like Functional Application Manager.
But the cloud be named: Administrator in Application X.

How do you model this Application Role?

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

I think there is some misunderstanding about what a Business Role is. A Business Role is "[...] the responsibility for performing specific behavior [...]", and here "behavior" is for example Business Process. thus there's no difference between "Functional Application Manager" and "Administrator in Application X". Both are responsible for clear behavior (ie. you could model the assigned Business Processes if you want) and are Business Roles.

If not already done, you could look at Gerben Wierda's book Mastering ArchiMate which contains a chapter about "Secondary and Tertiary Architecture".

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Johan2

Thanx JP
I'm using the Business Role element now also for Application Roles.
I put the application name in front of the Role name:

Microsoft SharePoint Administrator
Microsoft SharePoint User
etc.

That works!

Ps. some purist could state that Application Role "Microsoft SharePoint Administrator" is Application Data, but I find it less logical and usable.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Quote from: Johan2 on March 21, 2017, 12:51:03 PM
Ps. some purist could state that Application Role "Microsoft SharePoint Administrator" is Application Data, but I find it less logical and usable.

And those "purist" would be wrong. An Administrator is a human doing someting in a (maybe not formally defined) process, thus a role.

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.