My contribution

Started by Kari, July 10, 2017, 18:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kari

Hi everybody.
First of all: I've ´been following your excellent job with archimate tool.

I've decided to introduce my plug-ins, which I've been developing.
..well not very professional with github, so at this point I explain what I've have done.
Well long story made short.
I made multiple plug-ins which I found to be (almost must) in every good EA tool.
First: Catalogs (popup menu)
   - I made catalogs, which presents elements (depending on context) on table format, and provides editing capabilities. On views it displays all elements with properties in table. User can edit all acceptable columns (name, document, properties) and save  changed values into model.
   - catalog are context sensitive; when activated in view it shows all elements in that view
   - when activated from browser it shows elements depending on where it was activated. For example: popup activated (right click) within Strategy it displays all elements in Strategy folder and its subfolders, and so on...
   - I implemented it using JTable (exellent by the way...)
Second: Graphs (popup menu) - I used JFreeGraph
   - I implemented so called TIME-analysis Bubble - graph (by default x-axis is Value Contibution (VC), y-axis Stratety fit (SF) and size is TCO. Actually you can change Category (Strategy, Business, Application ...) , x-axis and y-axis and size (Strategy fit, Vc, Tco, FanIn-FanOut ...)
   - Well I explain later what I mean by FanIn-FanOut...
Third: Matrix (popup Menu)
   - Matrix menu shows in matrix form connections between elements. Currenty I've made three kind of matrix:
     -- Process-BusinessObject
     -- Process-Process and
     -- Process-Application
Fourth:
   - I implemented Excel export using Apache POI (normal plugin activation). It exports elements into excel (xlsx) including all properties into one "Elements" sheet. Relationships into "Relations" sheet.All above mentioned matrices into following sheets and finally all view images into their own sheets...
   - After export user is provided possibility to open export xslx in "Excel" - if provided.

....Phuh!!! I tried to make this introduction short...

Yours
Kari Parkkinen

BTW:
   I work as Chief Enterprise Architect in Digia Plc. That is why I was interested to introduce "real" must have's in Your excellent Archimate tool.
   Keep on good work.
   ...and if you are interested on pugins (tested... well private test...) I will be more than happy to provide what I've made...

Few print screen are in powerpoint file...

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

All these features seems very interresting. I'm looking forward testing them.

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Kari

Great!
I shall provide plugin.
Only slight problem...I have to test it in Windows enviroment, because I use Mac...
Might take little time...
Yours
Kari

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

I use Windows and Linux and Phil has a Mac (and several VMs), so don't worry with tests ;-)

JB
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Kari

Great!
So I will provide You my plug-ins for test.
Takes a little time have to remove System.out.println's...
...I go now to summer cottage..back friday...

Yours.
Kari

Phil Beauvoir

Hi,

thanks for sharing.  8)

Quick questions:

- did you have any problems using a Swing-based UI in an Eclipse (SWT) UI?
- when a user makes a change to the model in your plugin, can they Undo/Redo the action?

Phil

Kari

Indeed I had problems using swing.
I struggled with Eclipse SWT, because I had to start update process using same thread as eclipse...found a way though...
When user saves changes into model, you have to actually save archi model.
Its behaves like "normal" archi usage.