Archi requires admin-rights to run?

Started by oyholo, October 12, 2017, 09:17:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oyholo

I have tried to get Archi working on my Windows 10 PC in different ways but have no success so far.
Where I work there are restrictions on what we can install on our PCs and when we need something to be installed we need help from someone in the IT-department with admin-rights.
First I downloaded the regular installation file and got help from an IT guy to get it installed. When he was logged in it was possible to start Archi.
When I tried to start Archi logged in as myself.
We noticed in the log-file that Archi had created some dll-files under my user on the harddisk. Due to policies here these are not possible to use, so Archi crashed.
Then I downloaded the zip-file.
And got help from an IT-guy to install it under Program Files.
When I tried to run it form here it crashed again.
The top of the .log-file looks like this:

!SESSION 2017-10-11 09:19:14.134 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.8.0_144
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=en_US
Command-line arguments:  -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64 -clean

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2017-10-11 09:19:16.634
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Could not load SWT library. Reasons:
   C:\Users\u14243\AppData\Roaming\Archi4\.config\org.eclipse.osgi\109\0\.cp\swt-win32-4629.dll: This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator
   no swt-win32 in java.library.path
   Can't load library: C:\Users\u14243\.swt\lib\win32\x86_64\swt-win32-4629.dll
   Can't load library: C:\Users\u14243\.swt\lib\win32\x86_64\swt-win32.dll
   C:\Users\u14243\.swt\lib\win32\x86_64\swt-win32-4629.dll: This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator

It seems we still have the same problems.

Is it possible to avoid this copying of dlls to somewhere where they are inacessible? Or do something else smart here?

Phil Beauvoir

In order to work, Archi (or any Eclipse-based app) needs write access to a user location. It is not just the DLLs, it also needs to store preferences and other stuff. On Windows the default is:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Archi4\

You can change this in the file Archi.ini. There are two values to change:

-Dosgi.instance.area=@user.home/AppData/Roaming/Archi4
-Dosgi.configuration.area=@user.home/AppData/Roaming/Archi4/.config

If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

oyholo

I have write access to my users folders. Archi creates among other things some .dll-files there.
The problem is that the policy settings (somewhere) is set so (it seems) that windows is not allowed to run (or load or whatever it is called) dll-files located at these locations except some that are installed by some other mechanisms (which I do not know how are). And my user has no write permissions in the Program Files-folders. So it does not help to change @user.home.

The problem seems to be that the Archi program when running seems to ceate some .dll-files which Windows prohibits me (as a non-admin user) to run/load.

I believe it would help if it is possible to set Archi not to depend on any dynamically created .dll-files...

Phil Beauvoir

Eclipse and apps built with Eclipse (XMind, for example) unpack some plug-in contents to the configuration directory. This includes DLL files.

> I believe it would help if it is possible to set Archi not to depend on any dynamically created .dll-files...

Not possible.
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

steen.jensen@sll.se

Hi, I had same problem on my work.
But when unzip/Extracted the 32bit zip version on a writeble disk than c: that way i got it to run.
I used my personal network share and created an shortcut that pointed to the archi.exe.
Use it daily both on Win 7 & Win10 corporate computers with no admin rights.

ScooterL

This is still a problem with the win 64 installer version and the win 64 portable.
I think I will need to get a Software centre package created and deployed

There does not appear to be any way to get this installed and running on our enterprise workstations without installing and running as an admin user.

I'm also getting another eclipse error which I'll search and post separately.
(Edit: It just needed a restart after an uninstall-reinstall.. I had previously installed the 64 installer version)

Scooter

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

The limitation you face is not related to the need of admin right but the limitation of the number of folder that can run an executable. So the first question to ask to your IT is if there is one known default user folder allowing executables. There usually is at least one for users to be able to install portable softwares. The goal is then to install Archi in this folder and change the Archi.ini file to make it use this same folder as your user folder (thus turning Archi in a portable mode). If there is no such folder, then (if you can have help from your IT, which seems to be the case) you have to install Archi as usual in "Program Files" (or equivalent) and change the rights of this "Program Files\Archi" folder so that you have write access on it with your usual user account. Then again, change Archi.ini to make it portable. It should then run.

Here is an Archi.ini file for portable use:

-clean
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
-vmargs
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.8
-Dosgi.instance.area=@user.dir/userdata
-Dosgi.configuration.area=@user.home/userdata/.config
--add-modules=ALL-SYSTEM

Regards,

JB