Component copy from another model while preserving object identifier

Started by Jose-Carlos, June 20, 2018, 08:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose-Carlos

Hi,
I'm using a dedicated model as a referential for applications (Business Service).
When I need to reuse a Business Service, I have to drag-drop the component to the default view and then copy it on my target model.

I have two questions:
  - I think the request was already asked: will it be possible on next releases to copy directly from Business folder instead of View?
  - when I paste this object on a new model, the new object ID is different. It'll be interesting to keep the identifier. In this way, I will be able to identify instances of this object on my models and it will allows to consolidate my models in the future.
    -> Suggestion will be: when I use "copy", it generates a new identifier; when I use "copy paste", it preserve the existing object identifier

Thanks.

Phil Beauvoir

Please open a request here https://github.com/archimatetool/archi/issues so it can be more formally tracked.

This is certainly something that should be implemented. Perhaps the jArchi plugin might support such a thing.
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi Jose-Carlos,

You might be interrested in this post which goal is to get feedback on use-cases before a possible implementation in Archi.

If this makes sens for you, could you add your use-cases as comments on this other post?

Regards,

JB
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Hervé

Hi

This can be achieved using the database plugin (https://github.com/archi-contribs/database-plugin/tree/master/v2).

All components from a model (elements, relationships and views) can be imported to other models, either in copy mode (ie. duplicated with a new id) or in shared mode (keeping the same id).

The modifications done on a shared component will be seen by all the models that include this component.

Hope this helps.

Best regards
Hervé

MarcF88

Quote from: Phil Beauvoir on June 20, 2018, 09:02:20 AM
This is certainly something that should be implemented. Perhaps the jArchi plugin might support such a thing.

The jArchi plugin, sounds new to me. Where can I find more about it?

Regards,
Marc

Phil Beauvoir

Quote from: MarcF88 on June 28, 2018, 14:32:30 PM

Quote from: Phil Beauvoir on June 20, 2018, 09:02:20 AM

The jArchi plugin, sounds new to me. Where can I find more about it?

Regards,
Marc

https://github.com/archimatetool/archi-scripting-plugin/wiki

The beta will be released to Patrons and PayPal contributors next week.