Archi Collaboration Plugin supporting multiple models in the workspace

Started by Manj75, June 13, 2018, 15:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manj75

I am trialing out the collaboration plugin however documentation is very light.  Having proceeded with trial and error I have discovered that the GIT repository does not get created by Archi.  This has to be created upfront using GIT and with the repo URL a blank model can be imported into the workspace.  Is this correct approach?

Also I noticed that only one model per repo is permitted, i.e. there is no way to have multiple models in a single repo.  Ideally, I want to create an Architecture repo and it divided by project models.  Is this possible?

Lastly, I have already created a number of Archi models stored in the *.archimate file and I cannot work out how to upload these models to the repository and have it in my collaboration workspace.  Can anyone help with this if it is possible.

Thanks

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

You're right on the current documentation. I have some private one that I should put on the wiki at some point...

Quote from: Manj75 on June 13, 2018, 15:41:12 PM
Having proceeded with trial and error I have discovered that the GIT repository does not get created by Archi.  This has to be created upfront using GIT and with the repo URL a blank model can be imported into the workspace.  Is this correct approach?

[...]

Lastly, I have already created a number of Archi models stored in the *.archimate file and I cannot work out how to upload these models to the repository and have it in my collaboration workspace.  Can anyone help with this if it is possible.

Yes, this is the correct approach for creating an empty model, but you can also open an already existing .archimate file and use it to initialize the git repository (menu Collaboration > Import remote model to workspace and publish).

Quote from: Manj75 on June 13, 2018, 15:41:12 PM
Also I noticed that only one model per repo is permitted, i.e. there is no way to have multiple models in a single repo.  Ideally, I want to create an Architecture repo and it divided by project models.  Is this possible?

No you can't. Simply because this doesn't makes sens from our point of view: either you have a unique model containing all your enterprise, or you have per model git repositories. If I were you I'd ask myself why you need several models... If this is simply because you manage several projects, then why not have all those projects on the same model (that's what collaboration is for)? If this is not possible because of some sort of "organisation issues", then risk is high that sharing the same repository would suffer from the same "organisation issues".

In addition, using a single model allows impact analysis that otherwise would not be possible.

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Hervé

Hi,

May I suggest you have a try on the database plugin (https://github.com/archi-contribs/database-plugin/tree/master/v2) ?

I believe it fullfill quite a lot of your requirements:

• It manages central SQL repositories (PostGreSQL, MySQL, MS SQL Server, Oracle or SQLite)
  • You may use several repositories (like test vs production or one repository per team like enterprise architects, functional architects, technical architects, ...)
  • The plugin allows to export models to a graph database (Neo4J) for impact analysis
  • The plugin allows to share elements, relationships or even complete views between models (one one is updated in one model, it is automatically updated in all the other models)
  • The database can be alimented from external tools (I personally use Talend Open Studio)
  • The database can be requested using SQL requests for analysis impact or reporting (I update a wiki using information from Archi)
  • And much more :-)

By the way, you may find other useful plugins on GitHub (https://github.com/archi-contribs). Please note that the Archi team is not responsible for these plugins but the plugins developers are very active on this forum (included me ;D).

Hope this helps
Best regards

Hervé

Alberto

Hervé,
Can you use the db plugin via Archi's command line interface?   

Hervé

Hi Alberto,

To be honnest, I never took time to try Archi's command line.

Before Archi's command line was developed, I created a script plugin that is able to import and export models using a script https://github.com/archi-contribs/script-plugin.

It has got very limited functionality (it is still in version 0.0.1) but does work daily on my production server (CenOS):
     /usr/bin/xvfb-run --server-args="-screen 0 1680x1050x24" /opt/archi/Archi -v -s /opt/archi-scripts/export_model_to_html.script 2>&1 > /var/log/archi-scripts/export_model_to_html.log

Let me detail my command line:
  • /usr/bin/xvfb-run --server-args="-screen 0 1680x1050x24"
Xvfb is a piece of software that simulates an X11 frame buffer and therefore allows Archi to run on a Linux server that does not have any graphical interface. I create a dummy X11 display :0 which size is 1680x1050 (24 bits depth).

Xvfb can be installed using yum install xorg-x11-server-Xvfb.

• /opt/archi/Archi -v -s /opt/archi-scripts/export_model_to_html.script 2>&1 > /var/log/archi-scripts/export_model_to_html.log[/b]
I run Archi in that dummy X11 display, passing the following parameters to my script plugin:
   - -v       verbose mode (the scripts prints the executed lines on its standard output
   - -s /opt/archi-scripts/export_model_to_html.script    script name
And creating the /var/log/archi-scripts/export_model_to_html.log log file.

My script is the following (I believe it is quite self explained):

# We exit Archi when the script ends
#    So the script ends when the last line is reached or when an error is raised
OPTION ExitArchi on

# We select the "Architecture" model
#    and import it from the "PostGreSQL" database (which must be defined in the database plugin preferences)
SELECT "Architecture" FROM DATABASE PostGreSQL

# If we are here, this means that the "Architecture" model has been loaded
# and is now the current model
REPORT HTML TO "/var/www/archi"

# We close the model
CLOSE

# This is the end of the script.
#    Now Archi will be closed (see ExitArchi option at the beginning of the script)

Hope this helps

Best regards
Hervé

imteyazbhai

Hi,
I want to know where is step by step guide line for installing and configuring Database Plugin or Model repository plug in that all the business unit SME can work on the Models and we can do the Collaboration version control.
Is there any Installation and configuration and implementation Guideline.

I have gone through forum and wiki but could not find complete step by step guide for installing configuring Model respository or database plug in that multiple employees can collaborate and work together on Modelling.

I am beginner on Archi, I have installed Archi on two laptops  and downloaded the Model repository and Database plugin files, Now I want to know how to install and configure that my  two employees can work together from their laptop A and B to Model the EA for their individual business units. for example one user is from Marketing team and other is from production team etc.

Your help on deployment scenarios and step by step installation and configuration guideline  will be highly appreciated.

Hervé

Hi,

Regarding the database plugin, the wiki describes all you're requesting: https://github.com/archi-contribs/database-plugin/wiki.

What kind of information do you miss ?

Best regards
Hervé

Phil Beauvoir

If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

imteyazbabu

Hi Phil& Herve,
Sincere thanks to both of you for prompt and positive response ,  we want to adopt Archi for our organization for EA Modeling& Architecture. We want to conduct training for Archi to our team let say 15-17 people , I would like to know if you can provide onsite training on the following TOC or do you have any consulting partner/vendor in EMEA/APAC region who provides these trainings or any consultant who has deployed Archi in EMEA region.

1- Archi tool operation/ utilization as an end user for modelling & Architecture  based on Archimate & Togaf Framework.

2- Archimate 3.x and above training and certification.

3- Archi & its plug-ins specially database and model repository  installation,configuration  and administration as a system Administrator.

What will be the cost for onsite training for 3 days  @ Doha, Qatar, in Qatar Visa is free for 60 days and its on arrival basis, Hotels are cheap a 5 star facility will cost you per day USD50$.
in worst case  if you are unable to offer onsite training  what will be cost if you offer online via Cisco WebEx  video conference. If you don't have WebEx we may create WebEx meeting for you.

[Edited to remove personal information]

Hervé

Hi,

Phil and JB are much better than me from an Archimate and Archi point of view. So I let them get in touch with you regarding this training request.

Best regards
Hervé