Combining two databases created from the database plugin

Started by audreykoz, August 10, 2018, 18:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

audreykoz

I'm working on combining two models in Archi and have decided to go about doing so using the database plugin. So far I've been able to insert components from one model into another (using an external SQLite manipulation tool), however, I can't seem to import this updated SQLite database back into Archi. Am I missing something I need to update in the SQLite model for this to work? Can you import a completely new database into Archi using the plugin?
Thanks!

Hervé

Hi,

I'm not sure to understand. The database plugin allows you to store several models into the same database, and to share components between the models.

The actual version (2.0.7) allows to import element,s relations and views from one model to another one, the next version (2.1 which is in beta release at the moment) will allow, in addition, to merge models.

So I do not really understand why you're using an external tool to achieve this.

This said, using an external tool is also possible as long as you fill in the necessary information in the different tables. You've got a description of the datamodel on the wiki.

Please do not hesitate to provide me with mode detailed information should you require more assistance.

Best regards
Hervé

audreykoz

What would the correct way to share elements from one model to another? I do see the "Import an individual component" option when right-clicking on a folder, however, I can't seem to select any components from my databases. Do the components need to be named the same? 
We're using an external tool because we're interested in being able to compare two Archi models. Comparing models seems to be simplest by comparing the two exported databases of two models, and the tool we're using provides good functionality for that, although I'm happy to use the plugin to import components between models.
Thanks!

Hervé

Basically, what you need to do is to select the classes you wish to import using a simple click on the symbols that represent these classes.

I know that is not very intuitive and the 2.1 version will improve this a bit and the embedded help pages will describe the process with some screen captures as well.

Please also note that there are 2 import modes:

• The shared mode which keep the internal ID of the components (so updating them in one model will update them in the other models)
  • the copy mode which creates a copy of the components during the import (so updating them in your model will not update the other models)

Best regards
Hervé

Hervé

You're welcome.

Please do not hesitate to open a case on GitHub should you require more assistance.

Best regards
Hervé