Not able to connect to Archi-modell on GitHub

Started by SimoneW, January 07, 2021, 14:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimoneW

Hi,

I am new to Archi, and try to connect to an archi-model, stored at a GitHub repository.
I chose "Collaboration" - "Import" from the meny in Archi. I enter the URL, Git username and password (token).
Archi claims "fetching", and it takes some time, but after that I do not see the model.

I see in Windows Explorer that a folder is created, but the model does not show in Archi. When I try again, I get the message that the folder is not empty. I delete the folder, restart Archi and try again - same result.

I have connected to another model (on Bitbucket), same procedure. That one is available for me as expected.

Can someone give med advice, what might be the problem?

Regards,
Simone

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Quote from: SimoneW on January 07, 2021, 14:06:15 PM
I chose "Collaboration" - "Import" from the meny in Archi. I enter the URL, Git username and password (token).
Archi claims "fetching", and it takes some time, but after that I do not see the model.

I see in Windows Explorer that a folder is created, but the model does not show in Archi. When I try again, I get the message that the folder is not empty. I delete the folder, restart Archi and try again - same result.

Who created the model you are trying to import ? With which version of Archi. Note that you can only import a model previously created by someone. What do you see if you connect to github? Do you see a model folder or something else ?

Do you see any error message in Archi during or after the import?

A model is not opened after import: you have to open it yourself from the Collaboration Workspace. So do you see the model listed in the Collaboration Workspace tab?

From windows explorer you should see at least a folder named "model". There's also a ".git" folder but it is hidden so by default you can't see it. It seems that in your case it exists, explaining why you get warned that the folder is not empty, but the "model" folder isn't for some strange reasons.

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

SimoneW

Hi and thanks for your quick reply.

The model I am trying to connect to is created in an older version of Archi. I talked to the owner and we walked through the steps together, he did not know why this didn't work for me, he has helped others to connect in the same way, and that worked fine.

What I see on GitHub (and the URL I am trying when connecting is): https://github.com/ks-no/arkitekturmodeller_for_kommunal_sektor

You write :"A model is not opened after import: you have to open it yourself from the Collaboration Workspace. So do you see the model listed in the Collaboration Workspace tab?"
I am not sure what you mean with "Collaboration Workspace tab" - do you refer to the choices I have from the collaboration window? 

I see a folder "model-repository" in Windows Explorer, containing two folders: one to the model on another platform I am connected (which works fine). The other is called for "arkitekturmodeller_for_kommunal_sektor" and is created after my attempt to connect to the URL above.

Appreciate the help, thanks again  :)

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

You write :"A model is not opened after import: you have to open it yourself from the Collaboration Workspace. So do you see the model listed in the Collaboration Workspace tab?"
I am not sure what you mean with "Collaboration Workspace tab" - do you refer to the choices I have from the collaboration window?

Might be good if you look at the associated wiki, especially this page: https://github.com/archimatetool/archi-modelrepository-plugin/wiki/Understand-the-Basics

Once imported, you have to double-clic on the model name from the Collaboration Workspace. If you don't see it, then you have to toggle it on through the menu Collaboration > Toggle Collaboration Workspace. Depending on how you used Archi before, it might not appear on the top left, in such case simply move it (drag and drop its label).

You didn't answer my other questions: did you see any errors ? Which version of Archi was used to create the model ? Which version of Archi do you use ?

Archi 4.7 detects more internal inconsistencies than previous versions, which might lead to models created with 4.6 not able to open in 4.7 or 4.8.

All these informations are important to help you.

I see a folder "model-repository" in Windows Explorer, containing two folders: one to the model on another platform I am connected (which works fine). The other is called for "arkitekturmodeller_for_kommunal_sektor" and is created after my attempt to connect to the URL above.

"model-repository" stores the content of the Collaboration Workspace and thus contains on sub-folder per imported model. So the question is what do you see inside "arkitekturmodeller_for_kommunal_sektor" ?

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.