Would be nice to be able to use a Canvas as a backdrop for an Archimate View

Started by Daniel Kruger, September 19, 2014, 10:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Kruger

It would be really helpful to have the ability to use a Canvas as a backdrop to an Archimate View, as this would give one the ability to model a view on top of a graphical background. Also, if the background property of the Sketch View could be set to an image, that would be great as well.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

This has already been asked some times, and although I said previously to Phil that IMHO this was not needed, could be confusing and no more ArchiMate, I now think we could find some ways to implement it nicely.

What I would propose is the creation of a "Picture" note in addition to the already existing "Note". This may be either an additional element or (even better) a new behaviour added to the existing "Note" element, like the Canvas "Block" element  that allow both text and image whose position can be specified (we should add a "fill" option).

Regarding "Sketch" and "Canvas", I think we should merge them. Sketch was great at the very begining of Archi (Canvas didn't exist at that time) to implement the idea of introductory viewpoint. But now, most of Sketch features are in Canvas which add another very good one: templates. So keeping both nor more really make sens.

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Stef Joosten

Quote from: Daniel Kruger on September 19, 2014, 10:07:03 AMIt would be really helpful to have the ability to use a Canvas as a backdrop to an Archimate View, as this would give one the ability to model a view on top of a graphical background. Also, if the background property of the Sketch View could be set to an image, that would be great as well.

I have made a canvas (easy) in a model. It shows up nicely in the Views section of this model (in the Models pane). Now I want to put elements from my model into that canvas, so I can do ArchiMate modeling in a non-empty canvas. However, the tool refuses to drop any ArchiMate element onto the canvas. I cannot find anything of help in the Archi manual, because everything there uses the blank canvas. Am I doing something wrong? How can I link the canvas to a view, so that I can fill the canvas with ArchiMate elements?

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Canvas and ArchiMate views are two different things and you cannot add ArchiMate concepts into a Canvas. The opposite is mostly true too, but in an ArchiMate view you can easily add notes and visual groups that could behave like most Canvas elements (postit, images...).

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.