Specializations and coArchi

Started by finnegan, November 28, 2023, 00:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnegan

I have a question about this thread on specializations and coArchi Quote from: Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie on October 15, 2021, 10:29:29 AM, specifically the statement "If everyone has 4.9, and only one person is in charge of defining specialization, then it should work most of the time with no corruption. but if there's a conflict on a concept because two people decided to change the specialization set, you won't see the values in the conflict window and you'll have to pick one version randomly."

We are all using Archi version 4.9.3 with coArchi ver 0.8.4 and are not currently using specializations. I'm investigating importing the SABSA Security Overlay, which uses specializations, into our current corporate model. My understanding is that the specializations introduced with the SABSA model will not be updated unless SABSA updates its model and we import the new changes. My understanding of the quote from the thread (in addition to the "unsupported" part) is that corruption could occur if two people make changes to the specialization set and then try to merge, but what is the risk of corruption of a one-time import that adds specializations? Also, does this mean that the person who creates/imports the specializations must then do all future updates of the specializations they imported, or is it that everyone must receive the most recent model before the specializations can be modified? Thanks

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Quote from: finnegan on November 28, 2023, 00:01:52 AMwhat is the risk of corruption of a one-time import that adds specializations?

No risk on that part, you can safely import the "specialization set".

The risk is the following: let's say you have an assessment element created in the model with no specialization applied on it. Later on you decide that it should be a "Threat", while at the same time, another colleague decide the same element should be a "Risk". The last of you that will publish his work will be notified of a conflict on this element, but in the conflict window, because the specialization is not shown, you won't understand why their is a conflict, and won't be able to guess which version to keep. The model won't be corrupted, but you'll have to pick one randomly.

Quote from: finnegan on November 28, 2023, 00:01:52 AMdoes this mean that the person who creates/imports the specializations must then do all future updates of the specializations they imported,

No, anyone can later update the specialization, but when doing so, you must be sure that everybody did publish their changes and are waiting for the changes to be done before refreshing the model and working again.

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

finnegan

Thanks, JB! Your reply makes me happy. I've only been working with Archi for about a year, so some of the behind the scenes mechanisms are still like a black box for me. I'll have to read up on how Specializations act within the model.

finnegan