specialization image overlaps text

Started by wkossen, August 16, 2022, 11:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkossen

maybe this is already reported, just te make sure... a little bug

just a minor inconvenience. If i add a specialization with an image, the image will cover the text if the text is long enough to reach the right side of the item. this makes it hard / unpleasant to use the specializations.

In fact, i would prefer to create my own types of objects rather than have specializations of existing types. but that's a whole other request.

running archi 4.9.3 on a mac (in case that matters).

Phil Beauvoir

Yes, that can happen. The text area does not adjust to the image size or position. This can get rather complicated given that an image might be of any size and in one of nine positions and that text alignment and position can also be set to nine positions. It may be something that will be looked at in a future version (Archi is open source so code contributions are welcome).
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Phil Beauvoir

Quote from: wkossen on August 16, 2022, 11:09:23 AMIn fact, i would prefer to create my own types of objects rather than have specializations of existing types. but that's a whole other request.

That's not how it works in ArchiMate. You can't add new object types, see https://pubs.opengroup.org/architecture/archimate31-doc/chap15.html#_Toc10045466
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

wkossen

I know, but that doesn't mean that it's sometimes practical to do it. The point is that i use the language to communicate, not to just comply to the standard..

An example is the information security example. Specialization can be used to designate risk, threat and mitigation, but it would be much better to show these things with different icons in a different color when it comes to communicating about security. maybe one day this will be added to the standard....

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Quote from: wkossen on August 16, 2022, 13:23:49 PMAn example is the information security example. Specialization can be used to designate risk, threat and mitigation, but it would be much better to show these things with different icons in a different color when it comes to communicating about security.

That's already the case with specialization as they can have different icon, color and shape. What would be different in your opinion with custom object types ?

Quote from: wkossen on August 16, 2022, 13:23:49 PMmaybe one day this will be added to the standard....

At least not without a good rational (I'm personnaly still waiting for a good example of something that can't be achieve through secialization).

Regards,

JB