Ternary association, which department uses which application for which purpose

Started by mischka, July 05, 2023, 22:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mischka

Hello,
how can I express that the same application is being used by one actor for a specific business function, and by a different actor for another business function?

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

There's many ways in ArchiMate to express this, here are some options:

You could make the business behavior (function of processs) explicit. In this case each business actor is assigned to its process/function, and each process/function is served by the same application.

Another variant would be to have the application serves actors, and have the process/function assigned to the serving relationships. But this is seldom used and, IMHO, would be a bit confusing for people reading this diagram.

Last, you could simply have the application that serves the two actors, and set a name or label on each relationship to define the context (which function/process).

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

mischka

Thank you, JB.
I didn't understand your first suggestion; but the second is viable. Thank you very much.

I outlined the solution:

This query then generates the desired table:

SELECT SELECT TOP 1 name FROM Elements AS E WHERE E.id = R2.sourceid, COALESCE(SELECT TOP 1 name FROM Elements AS E WHERE E.id = R1.sourceid,SELECT TOP 1 name FROM Elements AS E WHERE E.id = R1.targetid), SELECT TOP 1 name FROM Elements AS E WHERE E.id = R2.targetid FROM Relationships AS R1,Relationships AS R2 WHERE (R1.type = 'AssociationRelationship' AND R1.sourceid = R2.id OR R1.targetid = R2.id)

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Quote from: mischka on July 07, 2023, 11:58:13 AMI didn't understand your first suggestion

Here's an example:

That's the "normal" way of modelling it: the actor does not directly use the application, but is in charge of a behavior that requires this application.

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.