Merging two branches resulted in errors

Started by manonvanrooijen, November 14, 2023, 19:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manonvanrooijen

Hi! I merged two branches in Git, but now I have several errors and i don't know where to start looking in my model where to correct them:

Any clue on where in the model I can fix this?
My preferred mode would be to find the issue in the xml files and correct them there.

Kind regards,

Manon

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Quote from: manonvanrooijen on November 14, 2023, 19:42:10 PMI merged two branches in Git

What do you mean? If you mean that you used a git client (on your workstation or through systems like gitlab) to do a merge, this is not supported and has been documented in many places in the forum (git can't merge models, that's why coArchi adds an anti-corruption layer).

Quote from: manonvanrooijen on November 14, 2023, 19:42:10 PMMy preferred mode would be to find the issue in the xml files and correct them there.

Forget about it, that's almost impossible.

Quote from: manonvanrooijen on November 14, 2023, 19:42:10 PMi don't know where to start looking in my model where to correct them:

As stated next to the download link for coArchi: "Archi 4.9 and later has support for Specializations and images, however coArchi support for these is limited. Please read this."

"this" pointing to this text:
Quote from: Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie on October 15, 2021, 10:29:29 AMLet's say it like that: we don't support coArchi together with Archi 4.9 in production use. We've added only the very basic support to make sure people can experiment with it, but there's no support for conflict management and no anticorruption layer related to specialization definition or use. So depending on the case:
    • If use coArchi in a single user setup (only to store versions of your model), it will work
    • If you collaborate with people having another version of Archi, don't use the new features until everyone has the same version (allows a smooth transition period during which some people have 4.9 but don't use new features)
    • If everyone has 4.9, and only one person is in charge of defining specialization, then it should work most of the time with no corruption. but if there's a conflict on a concept because two people decided to change the specialization set, you won't see the values in the conflict window and you'll have to pick one version randomly.
    • Anything else will likely endup with a corrupted model in a short amount of time

So, the messages you see are related to some mismatch between specialization definition and their actual use. You are clearly in the (really) not supported zone.

My best advice: recover previous version of your model and manually reapply your changes.

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

manonvanrooijen

Thanks JB,

QuoteSo, the messages you see are related to some mismatch between specialization definition and their actual use. You are clearly in the (really) not supported zone.

I definitely need to start reading the instructions better  :-X

Will do a rollback asap.