Recent posts

General Archi Discussion / Re: A database of property obj...
Last post by Azix - March 17, 2024, 20:57:58 PM
Thanks for the information I've already made a similar script but for example on my firewall I can make object groups.

for example serverweb_group which contains
Server1
Server2
Server3

If I want to make an element group named severweb_group with archimate without putting each object in the view because there can be more than 25 objects in a group. So I'm obliged to take a "Node" for each server and "communication network"? and place them in a Groupings one by one?

General Archi Discussion / Re: In the model view, can the...
Last post by Xiaoqi - March 16, 2024, 22:02:11 PM
Hi,

You can see the demo video https://youtu.be/BIUODhE3Ya0 to see how to hide needed folders in model tree, referring to the user guide items that Phil mentioned. FYI...

Xiaoqi
jArchi / Re: Order of a $(selection)
Last post by Phil Beauvoir - March 16, 2024, 12:13:59 PM
The jArchi "selection" variable is taken from the underlying Eclipse global selection and there is no guarantee of the order of elements (and this might be different on Mac and Windows). When you select objects in a View the selection order reflects the order in which you click on them, but in the Models Tree this is not the case, because (as you found) they are sorted alphabetically.

BTW, because the "selection" variable is a collection you don't need to wrap it as in "$(selection)" just use it like "selection.get(0);"
jArchi / Order of a $(selection)
Last post by blayde64 - March 16, 2024, 11:26:35 AM
As i understand it $(selection) is ordered. I wanted to select two views in the model browser, and apply several properties from the first selected object to the second selected one.  I had thought this would work:

var targetObj = $(selection).get(0);
var sourceObj = $(selection).get(1);

If i have two views "A" and "B", it doesn't matter if i select A or B first, i always have "A" returned in target object. Is there any way i can programmatically identify the first selected item? ie, not have the selection sorted?

Many thanks.
Hi,

Quote from: svenvandevelde on March 12, 2024, 09:43:11 AMI would call this actually a functional "defect", as an application interaction can be realized by a specific technology service type.

There is no "defect" here as indeed an application interaction can be realized by technology behavior, but interaction being internal application behavior, it can only be realized by internal technology behavior (ie. function, process or interaction). A service can only realize another service.

Regards,

JB
General Archi Discussion / Re: In the model view, can the...
Last post by Phil Beauvoir - March 12, 2024, 10:30:42 AM
Hi, no the folder order is fixed. However, you can hide it from the "Visible Folders" sub-menu in the Models pane (three vertical dots menu). See the User Guide, page 17.
General Archi Discussion / In the model view, can the Rel...
Last post by svenvandevelde - March 12, 2024, 10:27:07 AM
Maybe a topic for future improvement.

Can the relations list be moved after the views list?
The relations list opens sometimes, and if you have hundreds of relations in a model, it is really annoying having to scroll up or down to the views or the actual components in applications, business and other folders.

Schermafbeelding 2024-03-12 104356.png

General Archi Discussion / Re: Create relation when techn...
Last post by svenvandevelde - March 12, 2024, 09:43:11 AM
Excellent. Thank you.

It is because with a technology service, the possible relation types with application interactions are none of the ones mentioned in the 3.2 specification. I would call this actually a functional "defect", as an application interaction can be realized by a specific technology service type.

But I understand that this forum is not the place to debate archimate specifications.
Thanks for the funcionality hint and yes, that helped!

Sven
General Archi Discussion / Re: Create relation when techn...
Last post by Phil Beauvoir - March 11, 2024, 10:18:02 AM
There is because the types of nested relationships are Composition, Aggregation, Access, Assignment, Realization, and Specialization. See section 5.1 of the ArchiMate 3.2 specification. You can change this in Archi in the Connections -> ARM Preferences. See page 45 of the Archi User Guide.
General Archi Discussion / Re: List of organizations know...
Last post by svenvandevelde - March 11, 2024, 06:04:38 AM
Archi is used at DXC by a community of architects. It is a versatile tool to allow architects to model their concepts using archimate without an expensive tool and financial dependencies. The open source model that you have is great. Many of the DXC architects donate from their personal expense to your project, this is how good it is!
DXC uses however more professional tools like BizzDesign to create enterprise models. However, looking at Archi, it has a lot of potential to become more and more powerful towards the future, only if certain critical functions would be added that we miss in Archi, which are available in other commercial Archimate modelling packages.
That being said, it is great to see such post, and to use your Archi tool to express our thinking with our clients and align.