Jasper Report Templates for 8.5 x 11 paper size

Started by prgee, June 12, 2016, 22:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prgee

To Archi Users in North America,

You may have noticed that the Jasper report templates for both "Standard" and "Customizable" reports have been formatted for the ISO A4 paper size.  This differs slightly from the ANSI A (letter) size commonly used in North America.  Jasper reports are printed at a resolution of 72 DPI (dots per inch) which translates into page dimensions of 595 x 842 for ISO A4 and 612 x 792 for ANSI A.

I have modified the Jasper template files included with Archi 3.2.2 to print on 8.5 x 11 and thought others may wish to use them.  The attached ZIP file contains the updated versions and can be extracted into the "Archi\plugins\com.archimatetool.jasperreports_3.2.1.201606031150\reports" folder to replace the existing A4 reports.  I have also included an updated version of the Archi template for "Customizable" reports.

Thanks to JB for developing the "Customizable" report template. I highly recommend it since it supports (among other features) the use of tags to print arbitrary subsets of a model and the fonts can be easily changed by editing the "style.jrtx" file.

Regards,
Peter

Phil Beauvoir

Thanks for sharing this, Peter.

Perhaps we need to get this a wider audience?

Phil
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

prgee

That sounds like a good idea, Phil. Perhaps there is some way this could be included in the Archi installation??

Regards,
Peter

vshtulm

I am searching for a way to generate a model report for a portion of the model. The original post mentioned "tags" that can be used to do just that. How do I leverage this new template to do it? I downloaded it. Do I need to place it in a specific location? How do I tag a view or a number of them to be included in the report? Thanks!

prgee

Hi,

Firstly, if you are looking for A4 size reports then the appropriate "Customizable" template is already installed with Archi (Archi User Guide p. 92). If you want 8.5 x 11 reports then you should use the ZIP file that I uploaded earlier in this post. These templates were adapted from the "Customizable" template so the same instructions apply.  As to the location that you unzip it to, it's good practice to place it somewhere outside of the Archi folder so it doesn't get over-written if you re-install or upgrade Archi.  In fact, if you did place it in the Archi plugins folder it would end up over-writing the standard A4 reports that are installed with Archi.

To use "tags" you add the user defined property "Report:View:Tag" to a view (you can use this property multiple time). Tags can then be used to create a report containing only one specific tag. To do this add "#tagname" to the end of the report title (case insensitive). You can make a view visible for all tag using the special tag "all". There are a number of other user defined properties that can alter the behavior of the "Customizable" report format.  They are described in the _READ_ME_ page of the "Customizable" report template.

Peter

vshtulm

Thanks, Peter. I followed your instructions to generate Jasper report in MS Word format. It pulled only the two diagrams that I "marked" into the Views section of the report as expected, but it also pulled the whole catalog of meta-data, not just the elements and relationships that are used within those two views. Is this how it works by design or do I need to do something else to limit the elements and relationships to just those that appear on the viewpoints of interest?

Phil Beauvoir

Quote from: prgee on June 13, 2016, 16:43:58 PM
That sounds like a good idea, Phil. Perhaps there is some way this could be included in the Archi installation??

Regards,
Peter

Hi Peter, the issue is one of maintenance. If it is included in Archi installation I can't maintain and support it. If a bug or something appears then I would have to do a complete rebuild of Archi and new version.

Phil
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

prgee

Hi Phil,

I understand your concern - I was a software product manager during a previous career. That said, I'm wondering what you meant by "getting this a wider audience".

Cheers,
Peter

Phil Beauvoir

Hi Peter,

I thought that as it's possible to select your custom report from the Jasper wizard via the drop down box, it could be shared somewhere more prominent. Or maybe we could think of a better way to share it.

Phil

vshtulm

Peter,

Is it possible to limit elements and relationships on the generated Jasper report to just those that appear on the view(s) of interest (marked with the #tagname)?

Would appreciate your quick response.

Thanks,
Vitaly

prgee

Hi Vitaly,

I decided to write a README file for this. Please find it attached to this post. My suggestion for your requirement is to set "Report:Model:Hide:Views",  "Report:Model:Hide:Relations", and "Report:Model:Hide:Connectors" to "false".  All the other "Report:Model:Hide:..."  properties should be set to "True".  I haven't had a chance to test this scenario so you may end up getting all connectors and relations in the model.  It may turn out that you have to produce the report as a Word, Open Office, or RTF file and manually delete things you don't wish to include.

Regards,
Peter

prgee

Hi Phil,

I've been thinking about your suggestion and wondering if it would be a good idea to use the existing Archi website (perhaps in the "Resources" tab??) for model and report templates. There have been a few contributed via the forum but it is not always easy to find them. It would also be helpful to adopt a standardized format for these (e.g. zip file containing templates, an example of their use, any dependencies, and a README file).

Cheers,
Peter

Phil Beauvoir

Hi Peter,

we should set up a sharing eco-system. I'll look into it.

Regards,

Phil