Archi uses a lot of power on large model

Started by all-it-architect, October 27, 2016, 08:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

all-it-architect

I am wondering why archi is consuming so much power on my mac book pro.
My 85W power adapter is not able to keep up with the consumption, so my battery is running low despite of charging.
Any ideas on this?

Phil Beauvoir

Hi,

I've not heard of this happening before. Is Archi using processing power in Activity Monitor? Can you narrow the problem down further. How large is the model? Does it happen on smaller models? Is it a low memory problem? I can't think what would cause this to happen.

Phil
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

all-it-architect

Hi Phil,

Yes the model is large (currently the archimatefile is 23,6 MB).
I upgraded the Memory to 16 GB which is almost completely used by Archi.
A smaller model doesn't have these problems and power consumption is oke.
So i suppose Archi can't handle large models.
In another post i already read that it take a long time to load a large model due to the absense of lazy load.
Anyway my power adapter (85W) broke down since the MagSave connector got overheated.

Cheers
all-it-architect

Update 2016-11-02: all's well today, found out that my paid virus scanner from intego consums a totally excessive amount of power, completely draining the systems energy resources (battery and power adapter). i removed Intego completely from my system and now everything is running as it should.

FreeBee

Hi Phil,

Since a couple of day I'm experiencing similar issues on macOS using Archi 3.3.2. Archi just gets hung. The .archimate file is not that large, 1.3 MB, although from a content perspective is is probably above average.

I'm running macOS Sierra 10.12.1 iMac 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3. Rebooting Sierra and the latest update make no difference. Archi just gets hung. Seem like a memory leak. Also see attachments.

Archimate is consuming all CPU-power and all memory. As you can in the attached screenshots, in just 20 minutes, the memory usage has increased 5x and hung processes grew from 35 to 229 in 20 minutes.

Initially the issue resides in the background. I've already lost work because I could keep working in Archi while Archi already stopped saving to the file. My experience is that I hit the issue sooner when working with Properties; in particular when adding Multiple Properties and when editing Global Properties.

Need your help :-( Had planned a lot of work in Archi today and tomorrow :-(

Anyway, your help is much appreciated !

Kind Regards & Keep up the Good Work,
Freek

Phil Beauvoir

Freek,

this is hard to pinpoint why this is happening for you without narrowing down the cause further. Does it do this for all models? Perhaps there is one circumstance causing it?

Phil
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

FreeBee

Phil,

It's a single model, different files (I save versions) ... I've meanwhile switched to Archi on Windows 10, same model, same file. No issues (yet) here.

I'll see what I can do to pinpoint ...

Regards,
Freek

FreeBee

Hi Phil,

For your information ... As my model was running fine in Archi 3.2.2 under Windows 10 in a VM I assumed Java to be the issue. So I updated Java for Mac to Java 8 update 111. Memory leak hasn't been reoccurring for a couple of hours now on macOS Sierra 10.12.1 now using the same model.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Freek 

FreeBee

Unfortunately memory leak occurs again :-( Archi has become unusable on macOS Sierra I guess ...

Regards,
Freek