BIG problem for software editor

Started by xbrossard, July 19, 2017, 11:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xbrossard

hi,

I have a big interrogation using Archimate for my project in my entreprise. I work in a software editor to product software for hospitals and healt professionnal, and I don't know what exactly I have to put in the model for a new application:

- stakeholder: do I have to add users and healt professionnal  and people which create the software like programmers?
- strategy: do I have to model strategy of clients (which is unknow for me) or strategy of my enterprise? In that case, is it interesting? and how to attach strategy Resource to external users ? and how to modelize internals resources like servers for client hosting and attach it to application component?
- Core element: is it interesting to modelize internal process like application development? and if not, how to link resources like client hosting to an application process which manage deployment, which is impacted by development?
- Technology and Physical: how to modelize server and device if you don't know what the client have? do you define only standard equipment?

thank you for you response

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

I think there is a lot to discuss about, but the center idea is that you seems to misunderstand what ArchiMate is. ArchiMate is not a method but a common language that can cover most (if not all) aspects of a typical Enterprise Architecture. But what you're asking for is related to the method and scope, not ArchiMate.

So the best way to answer your question is to ask you: who are you working for (your own stakeholders), what do those people want you to do/describe and why (their concerns). With those questions answered, then you will be able to plan your architecture work, then (and only then) you'll be able to use ArchiMate to document your work (and we'll have interresting discussions at that point).

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

xbrossard

Hi Jean-Baptiste, and thank you for you reply

I understand what you said, even if you answer doesn't satisfy completely....

Did you know where can I could find exemple of applications of Archimate by a software Editor? For example, how to modelize a sofware like Excel or something similar?

XB

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Again, I can't point you to examples if you don't tell us what you which questions you want to answer. For some (if not most) people, just create an Application Component and naming it "Excel" is enough...

Maybe it's better to illustrate so that I can help you:

Do you want to describe the way people will use your product ? If yes, then you'll model the Application Services realized by the Application. If this product is dedicated to some business, then you can even model Business Processes supported by your application (through its services).

Do you want to describe the way the product is designed, e.g. because some developpers will have to maintain it? If yes, then you'll probably model the interfaces that provide access to services (UI and API), the internal Application Functions that are needed, the Data Objects...

Do you want to describe the technical requirements to host your application? If yes, then you might either model the typical Infrastructure needed (servers as Node, software dependancies and/or middleware as SystemSoftware, needed Technology Service...) or see it as Requirements or Constraints.

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.