Tips on how to elegantly order connectors?

Started by NicoLoubser, December 13, 2017, 11:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NicoLoubser

Hi all

I am posting this under the 'Archimate' discussion board because I believe this to be my lack of Archimate skill causing the issue.

I am having readability issues  creating an EA for our staging environment. I have modelled 4 servers(more actually, but I realised I have an issue at 4), all linked to one or more of 3 databases. Even at that small scale the connectors are confusing, especially manhattan style where the connectors align with each other. I am not sure whether to accept this, or if my initial layout has an error? I include 2 examples. One manhatten style and one normal. I am using Archimate 3.3.2. Started downloading v4 now.

I have recently finished studying this subject, so I am not a pro yet when it comes to creating layouts. Our studies was more focused on the theory behind EA and conveying a design than actually working magic with archimate.  Ignore the colors of the lines, I was trying to force a specific DB to have a specific line color.

Phil Beauvoir

I recommend not to use the Manhattan router but to manually create bend points on the connections and move those to suitable positions. Also, Archi 4.x has better connection anchor point handling.
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

NicoLoubser

Thank you Phil. I had no idea you could do bend points.... Thank you for pointing this out. It took me 1 minute now to figure how it works once you mentioned it.

NicoLoubser

Phil Beauvoir

No problem.

For reference, it's in the Archi User Guide p.34.
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.