Collaboration work with Collaboration plugin

Started by Timur, February 25, 2018, 09:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timur

Good day. Is there a manual for using the Collaboration plugin (Archi 4.2)? My team does not work in a local network and not always with the Internet. How do I merge different models into one?

Phil Beauvoir

There is no detailed manual yes. Tthis is something that needs doing, and perhaps crowd-sourcing a wiki page might be a good idea https://github.com/archi-contribs/archi-modelrepository-plugin/wiki

As for merging different models into one, some users have reported different ways to do this on this forum.
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Timur

What topic to find it ("...merge into one...")?

Phil Beauvoir

What is your use case for merging models? Are they completely different models that you would like to combine into one model?
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Timur

There is the original model (M0). There are branches (M01, M02 and so on). Task: you need to add new views from M01, M02 and so on to M0 and avoid duplicates

Phil Beauvoir

How would you see it handling merge conflicts? I can see that one might do a "dumb" merge where A + B = C, or a merge where objects with the same ID are re-used (though which one to use? by date?), but then what if an object is deleted in a later version. I think the logic of this needs to be clearly defined, and might require user intervention.

Timur

does the collaboration plugin not solve this problem?

Phil Beauvoir

Quote from: Timur on February 25, 2018, 17:21:05 PM
does the collaboration plugin not solve this problem?

It does basic merge conflict handling where you have to choose one version over another. But I answered you in a general way not related to the collaboration plug-in because you mentioned that you have branches, and the collaboration plug-in does not presently handle branches.

Timur

There is the original model. It describes the components of the system. Each employee describes his component separately. You must then merge the different components into the original model