How to pronounce Archi in English?

Started by Pavel Hruby, November 04, 2014, 12:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pavel Hruby

How do you pronounce the tool's name, "Archi" in English?

Phil Beauvoir

Good question.  :)

In the UK and US, we say "Archi", and in France and the Netherlands they say, "Archi".

8)
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Phil Beauvoir

OK, joking aside...

In the UK, and for me, we use a soft "ch" as cheese.
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Interresting...

In pure french it should be pronounced with "ch" as in "cheese", but I always pronounce it with "k" like in "kid", mainly because I though I should pronounce it the same way as "ArchiMate" which I pronounced the same way as "architect".

This leads me to this question... how do you pronounced ArchiMate ?

JB

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

BTW, Gerben pronounce it with "ch" like in "cheese"...

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

More on this... Wikipedia shows that a [k] should be used for ArchiMate, but as the page for Archi tool is empty, the first to create it will win ;-)

Phil Beauvoir

Quote from: Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie on November 04, 2014, 12:52:21 PM
Interresting...

In pure french it should be pronounced with "ch" as in "cheese", but I always pronounce it with "k" like in "kid", mainly because I though I should pronounce it the same way as "ArchiMate" which I pronounced the same way as "architect".

This leads me to this question... how do you pronounced ArchiMate ?

JB

Like Arkimate. Hard "ch".

Why? Because Archi is like Archie, the boy's name. In fact, the very first version was "Archie".

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Quote from: Phil Beauvoir on November 04, 2014, 13:13:05 PM
Why? Because Archi is like Archie, the boy's name. In fact, the very first version was "Archie".

I remember this story... but discovered it too late as I have then already discuss with many colleagues about Arki :-(

I think this should be made clear on the website.

Phil Beauvoir

Quote from: Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie on November 04, 2014, 13:25:15 PM
Quote from: Phil Beauvoir on November 04, 2014, 13:13:05 PM

I remember this story... but discovered it too late as I have then already discuss with many colleagues about Arki :-(

I think this should be made clear on the website.

http://www.archimatetool.com/faq#pronounce

andrew.davies

Not quite pronunciation, but should the startup splash screen say "ArchiMate modelling" rather than "archimate modelling"? (It is a trade mark, after all...)

Phil Beauvoir

I wanted it to be all lower case.

Archi is also a registered trademark, but I don't like to make a song and dance about it. ;-)

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Even if I usually take care of writing ArchiMate, I don't think this is important just below the Archi logo.

But it might be good to add "ArchiMate(r) is a registered trademark of the Open Group" below our own copyright though.

JB

Phil Beauvoir

Not on the splash. I want to keep that simple, artistic and elegant. If I had to add that I would remove the whole splash screen.

There are enough occurrences of "ArchiMate(r) is a registered trademark of the Open Group" for people to think, "Yes, we know". ;-)

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

I understand and agree with the rationale for the splash screen. The goal is not to be a clone of the Introduction page of the Help (where all copyrights and trademarks are listed).

JB