New specialization plugin

Started by Hervé, June 30, 2017, 21:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hervé

Hi Phil,

I cannot guarantee my code is 100% bug free (who can  ;D) but I've got tests environments on Windows (Win 7 32 bit and Win 10 64 bit) and Linux (Fedora 28 64 bit).

In addition, my colleagues and myself are using my plugins at work on a daily basis (including my specialization plugin, but not my ServiceNow plugin I must admit). I'm also in close touch by mail and by phone with other companies that use them on a daily basis as well and I would like to officially thank them very much for all the help they provide me : bug report, functionality requirements, testing on beta releases, ...

Regarding the specialization plugin, and especially the latest 1.0.7.1 version, I only received complaints (so far) from MAC users about the version that has been compiled on a Windows 10 64 bit workstation, while the same code compiled on a Windows 7 32 bit workstation seems to work. As you confirmed the JAR file should be generated exactly the same on both systems and as obviously they are not, I'm still investigating the other differences I may have between my two workstations and that may cause the JAR files to be different.

Unfortunately, I do not own a MAC and, even if I've seen some tuto on how to install the MAC OS on a virtual machine, this is not allowed and therefore I cannot do any tests on MAC before delivering new releases of my plugin.

If someone has got a MAC that he doesn't use, I'm ready to accept it as a gift  ;D ;D ;D

Anyway, for more than nearly 3 years now (wow, already 3 years  :o !!!), when someone reports a bug, I do my best to solve it as quickly as I can  ;D

;)

Best regards
Hervé

Hervé

QuotePossible to bring back a 64b - "org.archicontribs.specialization_v1.0.6.jar" and a "7.0.jar" version to test against?

As everybody do not know how to use GitHub (me first  ;D), I'm re-publishing all the old version from the 1.0.1 like that you will be able to try all of them  ;D

Best regards
Hervé

newbie1234

Thanks JB.

Can confirm that 1.0.7 brings back the icons for Mac.  Many thanks!

geoffrey

Quote from: Hervé on September 05, 2018, 18:55:51 PM

Anyway, for more than nearly 3 years now (wow, already 3 years  :o !!!), when someone reports a bug, I do my best to solve it as quickly as I can  ;D

As always Hervé, thank you for all your hard work and time you take to support everyone.

rheward

Quote from: newbie1234 on September 06, 2018, 13:12:35 PM
Thanks JB.
Can confirm that 1.0.7 brings back the icons for Mac.  Many thanks!

Phew, I thought I was going slightly mad having lost the icons. I put it down to some renaming of the icon folder location that I coincidently changed, but I agree that going back to 1.0.7 works fine again and 1.0.7.1 doesn't work.

Hervé

Hi,

There is a "test for MAC" folder on Github with two versions of the 1.0.7.1 jar file:
- one compiled on a 32 bit Windows 7 workstation
- one compiled on a 64 bit Windows 10 workstation

Some users told me that the version compiled on the 32 bit windows 7 workstation was working fine on MAC.

Could you please confirm ?

Thanks and regards
Hervé

newbie1234

Please bear with me on testing explanation....   

By *accident* I copied the "org.archicontribs.specialization_v1.0.7.1-win10-64b.jar" to the Archi plugin directory as "org.archicontribs.specialization_v1.0.7.jar" --  IT WORKED!

Then, I changed the "org.archicontribs.specialization_v1.0.7.jar" that I just copied to plugin directory to "org.archicontribs.specialization_v1.0.7.1.jar" and ....IT DOES NOT WORK... (added a ".1" to the name)

When I used the 7.0.jar version, Archi let me know that there was a update available to "7.0.1"  When I did the test above, it was happy that I had the newest version, even though the jar file was named "7.0.jar"

Hopefully above explanation makes sense?  Is mac OS looking for something to match up against inside jar file that it doesn't like?

Hervé

Hi,

The version is coded into the plugin. You can rename the jar file to any name you wish, it will continue to behave the same way. Basically, the only reason I added the version number in the jar file is to be able to "visually" distinguish versions.

But what I do not understand is that MAC users said the org.archicontribs.specialization_v1.0.7.1-win10-64b.jar file (compiled on a 64 bit Windows 10 workstation) was not working on MAC, but the org.archicontribs.specialization_v1.0.7.1-win7-32b.jar (compiled on a 32 bit Windows 7 workstatoin) was working fine.

And if I understand correctly, you are saying that the win10-64b files works fine on your MAC, aren't you ?

Could you please confirm ?

Thanks and regards
Hervé

newbie1234

Hi.  Yes, "win10-64b" when renamed to "7.0.jar" works fine on my mac.  When I rename to "7.0.1.jar" it does not show the replaced icons.  I tried the change with both the 32b and 64b versions.

Thanks again for all of your help.

-John

Hervé

Sorry to insist, but I'd like to be sure I understand correctly ...

You say that both the win10-64b and the win7-32b jar files are failing to show the replaced icons. Is that correct ?

newbie1234

Hi.

I tried both versions, *both* the win10-64b and the win7-32b when renamed to just "7.0.jar" (no win10-64b, no win7-32b in name) work.  When I try with 7.0.1.jar name (no win10-64b, no win7-32b in name) , they both fail to bring in the icons.

Thanks.

Hervé

Still not sure to understand ... I must be tired, or dumb, or both   :o ;D

1 ) org.archicontribs.specialization_v1.0.7.1-win10-64b.jar
          - when used as is (no rename)                                                --> it does not work
          - when renamed to org.archicontribs.specialization_v1.0.7.1.jar --> it does not work
          - when renamed to org.archicontribs.specialization_v1.0.7.jar    --> it works fine

1 ) org.archicontribs.specialization_v1.0.7.1-win7-32b.jar
          - when used as is (no rename)                                                --> it does not work
          - when renamed to org.archicontribs.specialization_v1.0.7.1.jar --> it does not work
          - when renamed to org.archicontribs.specialization_v1.0.7.jar    --> it works fine

Is that correct ?

newbie1234

Hi Herve.

Your plugin is great to use as having special icons is somewhat a religion to some folks :)

Apologies for late reply as was pulled into some meetings between then and now.

Your outline is correct.  BTW - I upgraded Archi to 4.3 yesterday as well, and did the tests over again with the results as how you have outlined.

regards,

-John

Hervé

It is much clearer now, I will never use numbers with 4 digits  ;D

Thank you very much for your tests

geoffrey

Today I noticed that on Archi 4.2 and 4.3 using the Specialization amongst others results in having a different icon color for some elements like application functions as the attached image shows. The main color of the element itself is what is set in the preferences, only the icon differs.

When I run it in a clean 4.3 installation, the issue is not there. I use the color preferences from the Mastering Archimate book and the model/view is set to not specialize the icons.

Does anyone else observe this behavior?