Technology cross location not possible?

Started by Trax, December 10, 2018, 13:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trax

Hi,

I'm not user-friendly with Archi, but I don't find how to link a Technology Service across two location ?

Use case : Stretched cluster!

How do to represent this kind of service?

Thanks,

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

I'm not sure to understand your point...

You can simply have both locations aggregate your service..

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Trax

I'll be better with an illustration :)

Why the TF does not appear over the second location?

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

That's way better with an illustration ;-)

When you've moved the service inside the Location it has been nested, meaning that it is now visually part of the first location. That's the reason why when you resize it, it is clipped inside the location.

You have two solution to solve your issue:
(1) you add again the same service inside the 2nd location. You can do this by selecting the service and then doing a "Copy" followed by a "Past Special" through the context menu. This will create a new visual object which is linked to the exact same service inside the model, meaning that any change on it will be reflected on both visual objects.
(2) you unnest the service by moving it outside the location, and then you resize it to appear on top of both location. Resizing it will not trigger the nesting mecanism. Drawback: you'll have to manage aggregation relationships manually (adding them to the model and removing them from the view) if you want a meaningful model.

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Trax

Thanks Jb!

First solution can create misunderstanding because it could be a second instance of the service...

Second is better, but not easy to do beacause when your cursor is over another object, it create nested relation.

There's no option to disable this?

May be few RFC for the next version of Archi :

Allow Connector to be invisible
Allow to disable "auto-nest"
Create a shortcut to move object (not found in the documentation)

Many thanks,

Agostini

The second solution would have been perfect if it wasn't for the need to manually do that. Is there no way to automate this somehow?
Here are some superb appetite suppressants everyone should consider using.