Model Size Limits

Started by aruberto, December 04, 2014, 11:24:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aruberto

Hi

Is there a maxim storage size limit for a single model?

Just wondering if there is an impact to the business of using a single model with lots of views if we get to a point where it will just say "computer says no/too big" :P

Thanks

prgee

We are currently using Archi to maintain an EA model consisting of about 8,000 elements and 10,000 relationships. There are about 50 views maintained in that model as well. Performance is pretty good once Archi has loaded the model but it is now taking 5-6 minutes to read the .archimate file from a local drive.

Regards,
Peter

aruberto

that's pretty big. Assume only limitations relate to the organisations own network capability as opposed to file size restrictions inbuilt by Archi. Would be good to get confirmation though.

Phil Beauvoir

Archi wasn't designed to work with huge models, the limitation being that the whole .archimate file (XML format) is loaded into memory in one go. I've always suggested to work with small to medium sized models because of this.

So, what's the (longer term) answer? It would be to re-design Archi to work with loading model objects on-demand (the Eclipse Modelling Framework uses proxy objects) with a repository-based back-end using CDO - https://eclipse.org/cdo/ This is under investigation, but not something that I am prepared to do alone, or for free, as it would take a lot of effort.
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

aruberto

Thanks Phil... We've decided not to create monolithic models. Sounds like you're a busy guy unfortunately I don't have the expertise to support but thanks for your efforts.

Phil Beauvoir

Quote from: aruberto on December 09, 2014, 09:37:06 AM
Thanks Phil... We've decided not to create monolithic models. Sounds like you're a busy guy unfortunately I don't have the expertise to support but thanks for your efforts.

Well...not so much being a busy guy, but to take Archi to the next level requires a huge investment of time and resources. That would need to be funded, or Archi would need to be paid for somehow. Having said that, options are being investigated.
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.