.archimate XML format ?

Started by rchevallier, August 21, 2019, 15:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rchevallier

Hi Phil & Co, archi grand masters!

I'm developing a prototype of static dataset lineage scanner tool which generate an archi model for analysis and documentation (written in python).

I first exported with the Archimate Open Exchange format, but I soon discovered:
* the .archimate xml format seems a lot easier for serialization (cf properties, folder for example)
* Loading a several 1000's of objects .archimate file is way faster than importing into archi from Archimate Open Exchange format
So I'm thinking to drop the Open Exchange format

I understand I use the .archimate at my risk and peril, and there is no support/compatibility warranty. Change and deprecation can arrive at any version.

However, would you have some documentation (.xsd?), pointers and recommendation (do's or don't's) with my approach

Thanks in advance

Robert

PS: I'm planning to open source later the python archimate lib
PS2: thanks again for your great application

Phil Beauvoir

Hi Robert,

sounds interesting. The Open Exchange Format in Archi uses JDOM to parse the XML and this is then converted to Java objects. It shouldn't actually be that slow. I've been using JDOM on another project recently and it's not too bad.

Regarding the XSD, as the core model uses Eclipse Modelling Framework it is easy enough to generate an XSD file. It's attached.

Phil
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

rchevallier

Thanks Phil. Indeed a lot simpler than the Archimate Open Exchange xsd

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

I can confirm that it should not be that slow with Open Exchange Format. As Phil said, e recently worked on another project using JDOM and I can load a big model that contains more than 20000 concepts and 1000 views in 10sec (and most of the time is passed loading the 300MB XML file).

I really wouldn't advise to use internal Archi XML for such project, This can change at any time, and I'm planning several changes that (if implemented) would change it a lot. Using Open Exchange Format is the way to go IMHO.

Regards,

JB
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

rchevallier

"slow" is relative. The .archimate is immediate, the .xml takes a couple of seconds, so it's perfectly acceptable.
However I need to do roundtrip (enrichment of current archi model), folder support is for the time being only in .archimate if I understand.

Phil Beauvoir

The Open Exchange Format XML file is validated on import and export against the XSD Schema. This adds time to the process. Validation on export will be an option in the next version, and importing of folders will be supported in next version, as you know.