Error: Diagram with Orphaned Element

Started by Alberto, August 26, 2019, 21:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Beauvoir

A possible case where a model might lose its integrity is with jArchi where one might re-use an object that was deleted from the model in an earlier jArchi operation. There are some checks for this in jArchi, but there may be a case where it happens. When using jArchi, it's best to make a backup first.
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Alberto

Herve, I'm sorry to say that I had the same issues last night as I worked on recreating my work (this time saving often). I ran into the issue again, and then I was able to recreate it a couple more times. Adding a new element would corrupt the model. The issues went away when I removed the 2.0alpha specialization plugin. It looks like a similar issue that rchevallier raised here: https://forum.archimatetool.com/index.php?topic=677.msg3994

The file I had downloaded from July (but not installed) was 3,461,690 bytes (3,465,216 bytes on disk) which is not the same as 3,461,675 bytes that you have listed. I just downloaded a new one and it's 3,461,690 bytes (3,469,312 bytes on disk).  They both had the same effect, adding a new element would corrupt my model.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to gather details for you.

Phil Beauvoir

Alberto, what are the exact steps that cause the error? Are you 100% sure that it is caused by Herve's plug-in.?

I'm interested to know this so I can double-check the core Archi code.
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Hervé

Hi Alberto,

My apologies, I'm very busy these days and was not available very much for your issue :-[

In addition, I haven't had time to switch to Archi 4.5 yet so couldn't had a chance to test my plugins against this new release. I tried few things to try to reproduce your issue with Archi 4.4 but I never experienced your issue.

Anyway, what would help me is to have a detailed procedure on how to reproduce the issue. I can install Archi 4.5 on a test machine and run tests in debug mode and fix my plugin (if it comes from it).

Thanks
Hervé

Alberto

Hi Herve,
No worries, I removed the alpha plugin and everything went back to normal, so the issue is definitively with the alpha version. I tried installing it both on the plugins and the dropins folders and it just wouldn't work even with a blank model. Even settings the preferences are missing (see attached) and setting the logs to Advance don't seem to do anything so I can't get you logs.  I just tried your latest v1 version and that seems to works fine with Archi 4.5.1. 

I use Win10 Enterprise.  I'll test my home machine and my test VMs at home later this week and let you know.

PS. the error message on the screenshot is when I tried to check for new versions.

Hervé

Even without any log file, are you able to give me a list of actions that I can follow in Archi to reproduce your issue on my desktop and debug my plugin ?

At the moment, as I failed to reproduce your error, it's quite difficult to investigate ...

Phil Beauvoir

And we need to be 100% certain that the error does not happen when this alpha plug-in is not installed.

We need to eliminate other possible causes - Archi itself, jArchi, Collaboration plug-in, DB plug-in...

Alberto

I will later this week, need to get thru work first and then will get to replicate and document the issue.