Adding interactivity to exported views

Started by vegardv, March 12, 2020, 11:07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vegardv

Attaching interactivity to the elements in the exported views could be very useful.

Given that someone has created this https://github.com/guidohajanssen/archimateviewer, which exports the views as SVG, opening more possibilities for interactivity, how difficult would it be to incorporate something similar into Archi as an export/report option?

Some examples:

• given a property named 'URL' on the element,  upon creating the view, the element could be made clickable with the URL value.
  • when hovering an element, the Documentation could be shown as a popup
  • when hovering a relation, the relation documentation could be shown

Are there any plans for adding something like this?

Phil Beauvoir

I've no plans to implement this, myself. ;-)

A general point here in response to "how difficult would it be to incorporate something similar into Archi" and "are there any plans for adding something like this?" (questions that are asked several times a week). The reality is that only me and JB (who has a full time job apart from Archi) work on Archi features and we simply can't do everything requested except what's on our roadmap. Archi is, of course, open source so if anyone would like to work on additional features, please do so.
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

vegardv

Quote from: Phil Beauvoir on March 12, 2020, 11:18:03 AM
I've no plans to implement this, myself. ;-)
Fair enough, that answers part of my question

Quote from: Phil Beauvoir on March 12, 2020, 11:18:03 AM
A general point here in response to "how difficult would it be to incorporate something similar into Archi" and "are there any plans for adding something like this?" (questions that are asked several times a week). The reality is that only me and JB (who has a full time job apart from Archi) work on Archi features and we simply can't do everything requested except what's on our roadmap. Archi is, of course, open source so if anyone would like to work on additional features, please do so.

I understand that this is a project with very limited resources. I am trying to help out myself, but unfortunately the only way I can do that in this project, is to make suggestions like these. If posting such suggestions in this forum is not considered being helpful, I apologize.

You could have chosen to answer my questions with something like:

• I dont know how difficult this is
  • This is very difficult, because ...
  • This is relatively easy, only needs ...
  • These suggestions could be very useful to have
  • These suggestions are not a good idea, because ...
Responses like these would make it easier for any potential contributor to consider taking a stab at it.

Is it of interest to have suggestions like these added as Issues in github instead of posting them here?

Phil Beauvoir

Yes, fair points. My comments were not aimed at you personally, I just thought it opportune to make a general point to manage expectations.

"Is it of interest to have suggestions like these added as Issues in github instead of posting them here?"

Yes. But the reality is this - if I or JB don't implement a given feature then it probably won't get implemented.
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.