Archi - Customizing common properties for building blocks in a model

Started by Giancarlo, May 13, 2020, 10:25:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giancarlo

How can set up in a model custom properties for a building block (such as application component ) so they are inherited  every time we use a new building block of the same kind  in a view of our model?  Is it possible in Archi?

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

That's not directly possible, but you can do something similar (and more) using pattern based modelling and a custom toolbox.

Another option is to create small jArchi scripts which take care of creating such properties for you.

Last, you can try Herve's form plugin which allows you to create forms to maintain concept's properties (and more).

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

magwas

Quote from: Giancarlo on May 13, 2020, 10:25:14 AM
How can set up in a model custom properties for a building block (such as application component ) so they are inherited  every time we use a new building block of the same kind  in a view of our model?  Is it possible in Archi?

A technique to achieve it is to use metamodel based modeling. In this you define a new kind of element and its constraints as part of the model. The constraints check that your element does have the needed connections, properties, etc. This is not available in Archi, but in Zenta (which is a fork of it) does support this. As an example of it, please see our definition of Controller: https://repository.kodekonveyor.com/repo-server/kode-konveyor/design.redesign/index.html#5e5e9be4-b7ec-4ccc-8a3f-acadc5f41006
Warnig: as you can define any metamodel with Zenta, it does not come with an Archimate (or any) predefined metamodel.

Giancarlo

thank you, I'm trying Herve's form plugin Ihave downloaded it and I 'm going  to create my first configuration file .

If I would use Zenta, does not  my custom metamodel inherited the Archimate metamodel?

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Quote from: Giancarlo on May 14, 2020, 17:04:50 PM
If I would use Zenta, does not  my custom metamodel inherited the Archimate metamodel?

Zenta as nothing to do with ArchiMate: Zenta is based on an old fork of Archi which removed everything realated to ArchiMate to make it metamodel agnostic.

In short, Zenta related discussion should occure on Zenta's forums (if such thing exist) but not on this Archi (and by extension, ArchiMate) forum.

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.