Export to PDF doesnt keep fonts

Started by DuncanWilliam, May 21, 2020, 13:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuncanWilliam

Hi all,

I have developed a view in Archi and changed the default font to CMU Serif, when I try to export it to PDF the PDF is in Arial.

Can this be changed?

Thanks,
Duncan

Phil Beauvoir

When you say "and changed the default font to CMU Serif" do you mean in Archi's preferences? What is the font when you select the object in a View?

Also, please:

- version of Archi?
- OS platform?
- steps to reproduce the problem...
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

DuncanWilliam

Hi Phil

Yes the default font in the preferences. In the view it is CMU Serif (default). The PDF is however in Arial.

Archi Version: 4.6.0

Im modeling a business view. First I select the view -> file -> export -> view as image -> select location -> as PDF -> save.

Phil Beauvoir

I assume you're exporting the view as an image and selecting the PDF option. Please try:

- setting the default font in preferences back to its default setting
- manually setting an object to CMU serif
- export to image

If no luck try playing with different fonts, it may be that the PDF export library is having a problem with that particular font. ie. is the problem with all fonts, or just one?
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

DuncanWilliam

All of the fonts.

Apologies the pdf is printing out the fonts in the default Segue not Arial.

I restored fonts back to defaults (segue) and chance on item to CMU Serif manually. I then saved and exported to PDF but all fonts are still Segue. I then exported to SVG and I get the output as shown in Archi (one item CMU Serif the rest default).

DuncanWilliam

It seems to be that specific font. I changed the default to a random font and it exports to PDF fine.

Is there a way of importing the CMU Serif font into Archi?

Phil Beauvoir

I tried with that font and got the same result. It might be that the Java graphics library (batik and fop transcoder) has a bug or issue with that particular font.

> Is there a way of importing the CMU Serif font into Archi?

That wont help. The issue is in the Java graphics libraries.

The only thing you can do is use a different font, or export as SVG.

Edit: I tried with the latest versions of batik and fop transcoder - same thing. Just that font.

DuncanWilliam

Not too worry. SVG will work fine.

Thanks for your help.

Phil Beauvoir

Duncan - I have found the issue, see here - https://github.com/archimatetool/archi/issues/628

If you uninstall your font, then re-install it by right-clicking on the font file and choosing "Install for all users" it will export in the image. I don't know why this is.

DuncanWilliam

Works a treat!

Many thanks for your effort.

Phil Beauvoir

The issue is under investigation, but that's the workaround for now.