Linking elements to views

Started by brain_work, February 17, 2017, 06:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brain_work

Hi,

Would it be possible in a future version to improve the way you can link elements to views, so you can click on a element to get a new view. At this moment I solve this by pulling the view into an element and resize the view box so that only the view icon remains visible. See the attachement where I've done it for the Archi report settings resource. If somebody clicks on the blue icon inside the resource the Archi report settings view will showed (in Archi or in the Archi HTML view, thanks for solving that in the last beta!!!).

A simple better solution would be for example to have a special property "link to view", and when you fill that with a view the element name get's a special look (e.g. the name of the element becomes blue underlined text). And when the view is renamed or deleted the corresponding "link to view" fields should be updated automatically.

Regards,
Peter

Phil Beauvoir

Hi,

yes this feature request is on the list for future enhancements.

Phil
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

brain_work

Pamaro

Not to bump the topic, but has the feature request been considered as a valid request and what has been done with it? I'm actually looking for this actual feature (Since I used it multiple times in environments using other modelling tools).

I've tried the workaround that was posted by the TS, but would like to see a more stable solution (e.g. linking and automatic updates/removal)

It would be great if someone could point me to either the (hopefully by now) built in feature or a external script that could facilitate "clicking on a object to jump to the associated (and linked) view".

Kind regards,
Patrick

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Quote from: Pamaro on November 30, 2020, 14:47:30 PM
Not to bump the topic, but has the feature request been considered as a valid request and what has been done with it?

This is considered a valid request, but as Phil and I work on Archi with almost no contributions from other people, we have to focus on only a small list of features, and as there is a known (and easy) workaround for this one, we've not worked on it.

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Alberto

There is also a drill down feature in Herve's Specialization Plugin, it gets the job done within Archi.  The view ID is stored as a property of the element, it works great if you are looking for 1:1 relationship, but might throw you off if you are looking for one-to-many relationships (because target audiences are different for the different views and view-specific links might makes more sense in the long run).

Also, if you are looking for links to work outside of Archi, JB's workaround is all in all probably best bet