Cannot insert elements to Views under Ubuntu 21.04

Started by Xiaoqi, April 05, 2021, 16:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xiaoqi

Hello,

I've just upgraded to Ubuntu 21.04, following is the info from "uname -a" for reference:

Linux ubuntu 5.11.0-13-generic #14-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 19 16:55:27 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Previous, the Archi was working fine in Ubuntu, but today I found the strange thing, that I cannot insert (drag) an element to the view, see picture 1, when dragging, the element is not allowed to place to the view.

While, if I choose several element from left panel tree, using right click, it's allowed to generate view from those element, that's OK for have one new view, however, see picture 2, in the view, the elements are there, but it's not allow to further edit, e.g. add relations (or even add more element.)

I check the backend terminal info in Ubuntu, it's showing those below so far:

$ ./Archi

(Archi:70277): Gtk-WARNING **: 10:55:39.554: Negative content height -5 (allocation 1, extents 3x3) while allocating gadget (node button, owner GtkToggleButton)

(Archi:70277): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 10:56:05.878: ../../../gobject/gsignal.c:3598: signal name 'attributes-changed' is invalid for instance '0x7f08708164a0' of type 'GtkContainerAccessible'

(Archi:70277): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 10:56:05.878: ../../../gobject/gsignal.c:3598: signal name 'text_changed::delete' is invalid for instance '0x7f08708164a0' of type 'GtkContainerAccessible'

(Archi:70277): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 10:56:05.878: ../../../gobject/gsignal.c:3598: signal name 'text_changed::insert' is invalid for instance '0x7f08708164a0' of type 'GtkContainerAccessible'

======
May I get your help on this? Looks like the view part is locked (as read-only) for inserting activity, but not all, like can create a new view.

Any compatibility issue potentially coming from Ubuntu 21.04? Or any settings wrong in my local machine?

Thanks,
Xiaoqi

Phil Beauvoir

It seems that Ubuntu 21.04 uses Wayland [1] by default. If it's the same as 20.10, you can change this when you log in, so as not to use Wayland.

From my own experiments with using Archi under Wayland, I found various graphical features not working properly, including drag and drop to a View, double-click on an element to open Properties, and some other things.

It may be that future updates to Eclipse might fix these issues on Wayland, but for now we have to say that Archi does not work properly using it.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Wayland
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Phil Beauvoir

I've spent more time investigation this.

See https://github.com/archimatetool/archi/issues/719

A workaround is to hold the Ctrl key down when dragging and dropping.

I can fix DND not working on Wayland (at a cost of not showing a link cursor) but there are still other anomalies.  Better to not use Wayland.
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Xiaoqi

Thanks Phil, I can confirm that is due to this Wayland (default now).

Before Ubuntu 21.04, remember there're two options in Logon screen: 1) Ubuntu 2) Ubuntu on Wayland, while by default was not using Wayland but Xorg.

Now, although I'm still in 21.04's pre-release version, the Logon screen has four options:

• GNOME
  • GNOME on Xorg
  • Ubuntu
  • Ubuntu on Xorg

By default, "Ubuntu" (hidden meaning is Ubuntu on Wayland now" is selected, after I switched to "Ubuntu on Xorg", our Archi works perfectly again.

Hope this switch can be really kept in the formal 21.04 release. And also looking forward to your further fix as Wayland is now the default.

Thanks again, Regards,
Xiaoqi