Nesting elements in the model

Started by jonnydab, April 30, 2021, 07:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonnydab

Wondering if it's possible to nest related elements underneath each other i.e parent child many EA catalogues have a parent-child relationship for example data, capabilities. To abstract complexity in the model structure it would be good to be able to place elements underneath each other i.e.

capability 1
  |
  --- capability 1.1
  --- capability 1.2

etc
Thanks

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

This is not possible in Archi because parent-child relatioin is in fact a native relationship in ArchiMate (composition), and thus appears in the relationships folder.

But you can create sub-folders anywhere in the model tree, so you can create a "capability 1" folder and move other capabilities inside. You'll then have to decide whether "capability 1" capability is inside this folder or not.

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Xiaoqi

Hello Jonny,

As JB mentioned, this is the working approach that we're using in day to day basis of maintaining the Business Capability model, actually you can keep breaking down to further level.

And the nesting relationship (e.g. compose) can be created in the Capability Model view, in which you can place Level 1 capabilities into respective Level 0 parent capability.

Good luck,
Xiaoqi

jonnydab

Hi Xiaoqi

Thanks for the reply and recommendation. I thought that would be the solution. Folders are a little redundant and would be useful to obscure child elements within the parent, but this will suffice.

Regards
Jonathan