Business Data Modeling

Started by Klepikov, April 02, 2015, 08:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klepikov

Dear All

I am not EA professional but I see a great benefit of the Archi system/language in my current business improvement project.
However it is not transparent for me how business data can be modeled and matched with existing data archeticture in the systems? Does Archi represents correct tool for that?

Context of my question is: our Business Process improvement initiative is done within a big company and what we faced on the first stage is total mismatch in business terminology and business data at both levels business and corporate applications.

Thanks a lot
Andrey

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

If what you want is to fully describe your business data with attributes, types and so on, then ArchiMate is not the perfect soltion (although it can do the job up to a certain level of details).

If what you want is to be able to do a kind of gap analasis between the way people see the same Business Object (e.g. does "Customer" also include "Prospect") and how the same "Business Object" is implemented in different application (leading to different "Data Object"), then ArchiMate is the perfect solution.

Regards

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Klepikov

Thanks for the reply!
I need to perform a GAP analysis exactly the way different people see the same business object.
I need to create a business object and a number of Meanings connected to Business Roles? Is that right?
Or there is a another way?

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

I've never had to do exactly the same thing, so the following suggestions are not based on my experience:

I've never used Meaning, nor see it used, anyway from the spec it should be possible to associate different meanings to different roles but the same object. This kind of diagram could be use as a starting point to collect information (how people understand the same object). Then a second round should help in finding where those Business Objects overlap, the goal being to build a better data model.

Here is are some diagram examples that I could think of:

Regards

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.