Nesting validation advice

Started by eduardobbs, June 30, 2021, 13:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eduardobbs

Hi,

In the validator, Archi shows a Visual Nesting advice when the relationship is correct, in my opinion.
It says "X is nested inside of Y but there is a non-nesting relationship between them or no relationship."

I am attaching an example. Do you think the advice is correct in this example?
Maybe Archi could have a feature to suppress an individual advice that we consider to be imprecise for that specific situation?

Otherwise what will happen is that we will build up so many incorrect advice items, that we will start to ignore all of them, including the good ones.

Please and thanks 

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

The question is: which relationship do you use in this case ?

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

My previous question was not clear enough: I can see that there is an assignment in the model, but did you use it in your view? On way to check is to move the processes outside the application components and see if there is a relationship visible. If not then the advice is right.

Regards,

JB
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

eduardobbs

Yes, using assignment, but it could well be a realization, too, the same error would happen
This is the result of dragging it
This is all in an empty model

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

I can't reproduce it. If I create the exact same view with assignments hidden for the nestings, this validates without warning (and this is the intended behavior of course).

Can you share the model file for which you have the validation warning?

Of topic, but just in case...
Quote from: eduardobbs on June 30, 2021, 13:59:20 PM
Yes, using assignment, but it could well be a realization, too, the same error would happen

If you think about realization between Application Component and Application Process, then realization should not be used (only assignment). Such realisation would be the result of a derivation chain based on AppCmp_1 realizes AppCmp_2 assigned to AppPrc, which models a TOGAF related construct (Physical Application Component realizes Logical Application Component) which is rarely the intended meaning.

Regards,

JB

eduardobbs

Maybe it`s because of my Archi version?
See it attached alongside the model.

Your off-topic advice was really good, I was always using assignments for this, but I did not know when it would be the case for using realization between these two concepts.

Thanks

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

There's a (strange) bug.

i'm opening an issue on GH.

Thanks for reporting it (good catch).

JB

Xiaoqi

Hi both,

Yes, I can reproduce this similar issue using Composition relation for nesting as well.

Regards,
Xiaoqi