How to clean up the User Property Name without Used Element anymore?

Started by Xiaoqi, July 23, 2021, 05:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xiaoqi

Hello,

I'm using several properties with elements, recently, we have certain changes to the model structure, which led to some User Properties will not be used.

In attached pictures, sample properties named as "Application Lifecycle".

After we deleted the property entry / value from all elements that using them, from the "Global User Properties" list, I don't see those Properties names.

However, when I clike the Searching Contition icon, and wish to search from some filtered Properties, this sample non-used Property are still appeared in the pop up list.

May I learn from you whether there're some other back end areas that I should do clean up further?

Thanks a lot, regards,
Xiaoqi

Xiaoqi

Additionally, when editing one new element, it's correct that from the drop down Proparties Name list, the property without usage is not appeared, see attached screen.

Thanks.

Phil Beauvoir

The Search filter works on the whole models tree, so if you have other models open it will find those Properties in the other model(s).

If you use the drill into in the tree for the model and search again you'll be able to focus on the model.
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Manj75

QuoteIf you use the drill into in the tree for the model and search again you'll be able to focus on the model.

Phil - is this a feature in Archi, I can't find it anywhere - can you elaborate further please.

I understand that if there are multiple models open then properties work at global scope, i.e. across all open models.  So if a property 'System ID' was used on concepts in all open models, the search properties will pick this up even if they were deleted on all concepts in Model1.  If there is an option to toggle on search on the selected model context only that would be useful.

Xiaoqi

Hi Phil,

First of all, as attached "single-model-opened" screen, I actually now open one single model.

And then, from 2nd picture, I can still see that "Application Lifecycle" property in the search drop down filter, while when only choose that, you can see below says "property not available".

By the way, how to get that "drill down" behavior happen? All of my previous "Application Lifecycle" (now N/A), and also "APM ID" are the properties to the Application Components elements, which under "Application" folder, but even I put my focus (clicking) to other model folders, e.g. "Motivation", which definitely no any elements with those properties, but I can still see those properties in the drop down list without difference.

Anything I miss in some configuration?

Thanks, Xiaoqi

Quote from: Phil Beauvoir on July 23, 2021, 06:47:59 AM
The Search filter works on the whole models tree, so if you have other models open it will find those Properties in the other model(s).

If you use the drill into in the tree for the model and search again you'll be able to focus on the model.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

By the way, how to get that "drill down" behavior happen?

See https://www.archimatetool.com/downloads/Archi%20User%20Guide.pdf on p. 12

And then, from 2nd picture, I can still see that "Application Lifecycle" property in the search drop down filter, while when only choose that, you can see below says "property not available".

"property not availabale" refers to the fact that you have no element nor relationship selected, thus nothing to show properties for.

From my experience, you really only see properties used in one of your opened models, so if you see it listed, that's because something (element, relationship, folder or view) still uses this property. Would it be possible for you to share your model? if yes, this could be done through a private message on the forum, or through info at archimatetool dot com (Phil will receive it and will forward it to me).

Regards,

JB
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Phil Beauvoir

I think this is pilot error. The Search Filter iterates through all open models looking for Properties. If it finds them it displays them. If it turns out to be a bug, I'll eat a kipper.

Xiaoqi

Thanks greatly JB for pointing to that "drill down" function, I didn't realize that valuable feature which can so much help narrow down to the focused group when filtering, fantastic!

Sorry, as the model contains our internal information, cannot share it directly.

Howerver, with both you and Phil's response, I've tried further, it always there even I just leave the model close and open again and again. But finally I closed all applications and cold reboot my laptop, and now, as attached picture, it's not there.

Actually, our model is using Git/DevOps via coArchi, I'm thinking whether it's due to the cache somewhere, although frontend I already cleared all elements (make sure) using that property, but need some hard "reset" (like reboot PC) to clear the cache.

I don't treat it as a bug, just interesting to see some delay for consistency, now it's OK, and will keep looking for any other evidence to support my guess.

Again, thanks for both of you, have a nice day,
Xiaoqi

Phil Beauvoir

I don't know why you are seeing this. Nothing is cached. The code used by the search filter is really quite simple.

All models that are loaded in Archi (and therefore visible in the tree) are searched for their properties, added to a unique list, sorted, and displayed as menus in the search filter.

Phil Beauvoir

Actually, I know how this can happen.

The search filter only resets when you either close (and re-open) the search bar or you manually select "Reset Filters". This is in order to not keep re-creating sub-menus for properties in response to every action (new property, edit property, delete etc) which would be expensive and incur bad performance.

So, the general idea is that if you using the search filter for properties and you keep it open all the time, you need to reset it when you make changes that affect properties, or when you close or open a model.

Edit - next version will reset the search Properties list on model load/close.

Xiaoqi

Hi Phil,

I think it should be the situation as you described, I normally keep the model and also the Properties window open all the time, I'll further observe any other similar properties may happen like this again, then can confirm on the behavior.

Thanks, Xiaoqi

Phil Beauvoir

Quote from: xiaoqi on July 26, 2021, 06:39:53 AM
Hi Phil,

I think it should be the situation as you described, I normally keep the model and also the Properties window open all the time, I'll further observe any other similar properties may happen like this again, then can confirm on the behavior.

Thanks, Xiaoqi

It would be better to keep the Search Filter closed when not needed. It has a performance hit if the tree is heavily populated.

Xiaoqi

Got it Phil, will follow your good suggestion.

Thanks,
Xiaoqi