Customizable Report for Tagged View Elements and Relations

Started by johmut, August 24, 2021, 08:30:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johmut

Hi, I need to generate documentation for all the elements and relations used on a particular (tagged) view, but nothing more ....
I am able to generate a report that starts with the view I need and documents its elements, its relations however are not documented?
Setting Report:Model:Hide:Relations to false lists all relations. How can I do this ? How do you guys & girls generate such docs ?

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

This is not possible at the moment because the underlying Java API used by jasper report doesn't expose view's relationship.

There's nothing preventing this API to be extended, but because Phil and I are working on other topics at the moment, I don't think this will be address soon (read: not in Archi 4.9).

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

johmut

Thanks JB,

Can this be considered a future feature to be prioritized, planned, built and released? Should I add it somewhere and justify the requirement?

Is it perhaps easier (as a workaround) to enable export/import of a view, with all its elements, properties and relations into another model? Then I can use the customizable report to generate the documentation I need. Just an idea. Any thoughts on the subject are welcome.

Kind regards,
JohMut

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Quote from: johmut on August 27, 2021, 09:14:35 AM
Can this be considered a future feature to be prioritized, planned, built and released?

Well, all the work done on Archi is mostly on Phil's side (and a bit on mine) and unpaid/volontary. So even though it is a legitimate request,  we can't promise it will be done. It obviousy depends on the time we have and the other topic we are working on. As you might have seen, we are implementing support for specialization and custome images, and after that we plan to work on coArchi 2 to solve several limitations (and bugs) of coArchi.

Should I add it somewhere and justify the requirement?

Yes, please open an issue on GitHub where we'll be able to classify it as a feature request and follow it.

Is it perhaps easier (as a workaround) to enable export/import of a view, with all its elements, properties and relations into another model? Then I can use the customizable report to generate the documentation I need. Just an idea. Any thoughts on the subject are welcome.

That's a good workaround. You can already copy the view's content into another empty view in a new/empty model (simply open the view, select all and copy). You'll then be able to report on it and get what you want. The only missing part will be documentation and properties directly attached to the view.

Another option, if you have jArchi, is to duplicate your model (Save As is enough), then remove all unwanted views, then remove all concepts that no more appear in a view (sing this script: https://gist.github.com/jbsarrodie/aae4ed4981ada94834cfdf48d978a13f), then generate the report.

Regards,

JB
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Phil Beauvoir

Quote from: Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie on August 27, 2021, 13:40:11 PM
Hi,

Can this be considered a future feature to be prioritized, planned, built and released?

Well, all the work done on Archi is mostly on Phil's side (and a bit on mine) and unpaid/volontary. So even though it is a legitimate request,  we can't promise it will be done. It obviousy depends on the time we have and the other topic we are working on. As you might have seen, we are implementing support for specialization and custome images, and after that we plan to work on coArchi 2 to solve several limitations (and bugs) of coArchi.

Should I add it somewhere and justify the requirement?

Further to JB's comments, we have an established process in place for feature requests:

https://www.archimatetool.com/governance/#process