How can you do Project Dependency Mapping using Archi?

Started by gwaters22, September 20, 2021, 21:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwaters22

Hi Team,

I have a scenario where Project Management team is running a portfolio of projects with many dependencies on each other for overall portfolio to complete. They like Archi Tool, but they are trying to figure out a way to graphically show project dependencies to Stakeholders via Archi if possible. The project gantt chart are not the best option here so they are using spreadsheets, and still the presentation is not that great.

Does anyone have ideas using a combination of appropriate Archi Elements?

Thanks in advance

rchevallier

I'm using
* Program, Portfolio or Project = archi 'Work Package'
* the triggering relationship to show time dependency between projects

Also another possibility is to explicit deliverables as product realized by a WP and accessed by the next WP (if for instance it depends not on completion of previous WP, but on a specific partial delivery)

Xiaoqi

Hello,

I'm using combination from Plateau, Work Package and Mapped Application Components to form the project implementation view, as attached.

You can also add certain Deliverables and Gaps to show more dependencies.

Hope this give some reference for you.

Regards, Xiaoqi

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

I'm afraid that if a simple Gantt chart is not the best option, then it will be hard to find something simpler.

FWIW, Here are some examples for related but slightly different use-cases (shoujld be self explanatory).

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Alberto

JB always with the best looking diagrams for all type of use cases. You and @"Eero Hosiaisluoma" should partner up for an archimate template.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Quote from: Alberto on September 28, 2021, 15:13:10 PM
JB always with the best looking diagrams for all type of use cases.

As I often say, whether you like it or not, architecture is communication, so we have to make our diagrams as simple and beautiful as possible (which is all but simple).

Quote from: Alberto on September 28, 2021, 15:13:10 PM
You and @"Eero Hosiaisluoma" should partner up for an archimate template.

That's an interresting idea. That could be part of future chapters of the ArchiMate 101 that I'm currently writing with other contributors.

Regards,

JB
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

gwaters22

Thanks everyone for the ideas, every idea counted. As you can see right question can generate lots of ideas, this is beautiful collaboration.  JB, I am curious what Archi elements used to create the calendars columns?.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Quote from: gmamvura on September 29, 2021, 23:30:32 PM
JB, I am curious what Archi elements used to create the calendars columns?.

These are notes, not ArchiMate elements, Some could also use (time based) plateaus, but I think that's a bit too much.

Regards,

JB

steen.jensen@sll.se

Is it possible to do an jArchi script that build the Roadmap diagram by selected elements in a packet or so, by the elements attributes for some automation ??

steen.jensen@sll.se

As no reply, I supose its not possible to script this :-\
Quote from: steen.jensen@sll.se on October 05, 2021, 21:57:27 PMIs it possible to do an jArchi script that build the Roadmap diagram by selected elements in a packet or so, by the elements attributes for some automation ??

Phil Beauvoir

QuoteAs no reply, I supose its not possible to script this :-\
QuoteIs it possible to do an jArchi script that build the Roadmap diagram by selected elements in a packet or so, by the elements attributes for some automation ??

Hi, it's not that it's not possible but, at least for me, the question is not detailed enough. You could start a new thread in the jArchi sub-forum with full requirements.