Object colours & Appearance Preferences

Started by johmut, October 29, 2021, 09:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johmut

As an enterprise architect, I want the appearance of my models to comply with the standard appearance specified in Archimate 3.1, so that my diagrams visually identify the objects using the colours assigned to the layers they belong to and other architects can easily interpret my diagrams. As a business consultant, I need the appearance of my models to comply with my customer's standards, so that diagrams used in presentations comply with the colour scheme used in the company.

My plan was to use two models, one with the default appearance settings, one with the customer's colour scheme. I had hoped that ticking the "save the default colours for elements in the model file" would allow me to copy a diagram from my "Archimate" styled model to my "Customer" styled model, changing the colours of the copie objects. This however does not seem to work, as the colours are updated in both models as soon as I change the preferences in one of the two model. Is there something I am doing wrong or can this be done in another way ?

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Quote from: johmut on October 29, 2021, 09:39:20 AMAs an enterprise architect, I want the appearance of my models to comply with the standard appearance specified in Archimate 3.1

ArchiMate doesn't specifiy colors and even says the opposite:
QuoteIn ArchiMate models, there are no formal semantics assigned to colors and the use of color is left to the modeler.

Quote from: johmut on October 29, 2021, 09:39:20 AMMy plan was to use two models,

My advice: keep only one model using your customer|end-user|stakeholder's standard, really.

Quote from: johmut on October 29, 2021, 09:39:20 AMI had hoped that ticking the "save the default colours for elements in the model file" would allow me to copy a diagram from my "Archimate" styled model to my "Customer" styled model, changing the colours of the copie objects. This however does not seem to work, as the colours are updated in both models as soon as I change the preferences in one of the two model. Is there something I am doing wrong or can this be done in another way ?

This should work, but... this option applies only to newly created objects, so if you created multiple views before you enables this option, then elements from these views will still reflect the current, default, color.

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.