Getting started (again) for dummies

Started by ArveSoreide, January 20, 2023, 08:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArveSoreide

Hi

I have not been using the collaboration function for a VERY long time, and after a change of computers I could not seem to be able to connect from ARCHI to Github again. I read the guide here but I have to admit I found it difficult to understand fully. I did a lot of trial and error, and I now have some suggestions that might improve the page. Where do I submit the suggestions?

Phil Beauvoir

If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

ArveSoreide

OK, so it was two things that confused me slightly were

1) Global User Details - it should be specified that these are the same as your user account in the git repository you are goint to use. So this info needs to be copied from that repo.
2) Authentication - this threw me off big time. Change primary password in particular. It's not very obvious to a first time user that this is a password IN ARCHI that protects your locally stored user/pw/token information. I tried using my GitHub account password a million times, reset it in GitHub and then here... to no avail.

Ideally this should be explained in the GUI but a slightly more "explain this to me like I was a four year old" description would have saved me (and probably some other people with no development background) a lot of time.

Thank you for your consideration!

Phil Beauvoir

Hi, thanks for feedback. Some comments...

Global User Details - it should be specified that these are the same as your user account in the git repository you are goint to use. So this info needs to be copied from that repo.

That's not correct, these are used for a commit message. As the wiki says:

QuoteEvery commit is signed with your identity. This identity comprises your name and your email. Set them as per your requirements.

It's not very obvious to a first time user that this is a password IN ARCHI

The wiki says:

QuoteFor all actions a primary password is required. You can set or change this here. This primary password secures an encryption key that is used to encrypt all other passwords - passwords for each repository, the password that secures the SSH identity (if used) and the password that secures the Proxy settings (if used).

Is that sufficient?
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.