View in hierarchies

Started by NeilKemp, March 10, 2023, 19:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeilKemp

To keep the complexity of the individual models down, I generally use a strategy where an object can act as a container for another model and then navigate up and down the hierarchy as needed. Can I/How can I do this in Archi?

Phil Beauvoir

Do you mean in the Models Tree? If so, each model is a top-level object and can't be placed inside of another object.
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

I think that you use the word "model" but in fact think "view". If I'm true, you can easily drag'n drop a (detailed) view inside another view. You can then reduce it to only keep the icon visible and move it inside the related element.

Regards,

JB
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

NeilKemp

Thx Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie  Yes, I meant "view".  I tried what you suggested, and it appears to work. Does doing this establish a connection/relationship between the object and the elements in the child view? I can see I can navigate, but does the view reference establish a relationship between the object and the child view?

At some point, I need to export the model I am creating and load it into another tool. Does the ArchiMate model exchange file format handle this in a predictable manner

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Such view reference does not create a relation/connection in the model itself (relationship only exist between elements, not views), but this visual/navigation construct is part of the exchange format so will be exported by Archi and imported by the other tool (if it is compliant of course).

Regards,

JB

NeilKemp

Thx - testing will tell. I have little confidence in the tool, but that is part of the reason I am doing the work right now :-)

NeilKemp

... to be clear... I have every confidence in Archi (great piece of software). My confidence is lacking in the source and ultimate destination of the work :-)

NeilKemp

Related question. Where in the archimate spec does it define the linkages requirements you alluded to

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Quote from: NeilKemp on March 13, 2023, 23:50:40 PMRelated question. Where in the archimate spec does it define the linkages requirements you alluded to

This is part of the ArchiMate Model Exchange File Format.

Regards,

JB

NeilKemp

Thanks _ I am aware of the standard and have read it. I cannot see where it makes reference to supporting drag'n drop of a (detailed) view inside another view

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Quote from: NeilKemp on March 14, 2023, 12:21:49 PMI cannot see where it makes reference to supporting drag'n drop of a (detailed) view inside another view

That's the purpose of the 'viewRef' attribute defined on the ViewConceptType tag. 'viewRef' is used to create a link between a visual object and another view.

Regards,

JB

NeilKemp