How to model custom code in an application?

Started by jrsprang, October 19, 2015, 15:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrsprang

I'm trying to familiarize myself with the ArchiMate language which is raising a lot of "How do I model this" types of questions.

We have a purchased applicatin (ApplicationA) and another purchased application (ApplicationB).  These two need to communicate, so we wrote some custom code that sits on the ApplicationA server, sends information to custom code that we wrote sitting on ApplicationB's server.

How would you diagram this?  Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jon

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

The way you model it really depends on how things work and the purpose of your model. If the purpose is to keep track of data flows, then you could just use a Flow relationship from "Application A" to "Application B", but if you want to provide details about the real implementation, then depending on whether or not you use standard/default services provided by applications: if yes application layer is enough, if not infrastructure layer have to be detailed.

Here are some possible ways of modelling it:

Hope this can help.

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

jrsprang

This is great!  I appreciate you taking the time to pull this together for me!

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Just one comment: the latest example is obviously way too much ;-) To be honest I would never model so many details but again, it depends on your context.

And I forgot to provide you one simple advice: look at Gerben Wierda's book Mastering Archimate.

Regrds

JB
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Phil Beauvoir

This is a really nice reply. Thanks to our resident ArchiMate expert, JB!  8)

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Thank you. But this really nice reply would not have been possible without the fantastic tool Archi is (first) and the fantastic blog and book written by Gerben !

BTW : @Jon could you share your final modelling ? It could be interresting to have future readers of this forum to know how you finally did it.

Regards,

JB

jrsprang

@Jean, I haven't yet modeled it since I purchased the book you have recommended and haven't put it down :)