clickable relations

Started by wassie, March 24, 2015, 09:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wassie

hi,

is it possible to connect within different models? If not, are there any alternative solutions? My goal is to get the possibility to be able to click between models when a model item is used in more then one model.

regards,
Wouter

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

No, for the moment it is not possible to link several models.

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

wassie

Hi Jean-Baptiste,

Thank you for your quick reply. I really need this solution, because our infrastructure enviroment is very complex and related. Do you know any other solution for this? Maybe a different tool?

regards,
Wouter

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

The real question is "what are you trying to achieve?", why do you want to link several models instead of maintaining only one ?

For example, I'm maintaining one big model with all my applications and servers without any issues.

JB
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

wassie

Good question JB. For impact analysis of multiple applications is the main reason. Some application layers are used by more then one application. If we want to change something in a application, we would like select that application in Archi and we want to see what the impact is for all connected items, by seeing a overview of them.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

So the question in turn (be prepared, I can ask "why" a lot of time) is "Why don't you have all your applications in the same ArchiMate model?".

It seems to me you are in fact using ArchiMate (and Archi) mainly for solution architecture and thus create one model per project or application. This is not the best approach IMHO.

You should better have only one model in which you document your CSA (Current State Architecture) and tag each view on a per application and/or project basis (see "Enhanced Report" architemplate for more information about tags). You'll then stil be able to generate (PDF, DOC...) documentation on a per application/project basis but will be able to do impact analysis easily (with powerfull Visualiser for example).

JB

wassie

I don't mind the "why" question. Asking questions is very powerfull! Thank you for making time for my questions.

I'm a newbe with Archi(Mate). But what I understand is that the ArchiMate model is very usefull for creating business, application and technoligy layers. I thought that it would be wise to create those layers for our organisation. First at top-level, and going deeper into the details, but all connected within the processes.

I will going to read about CSA and also the enhanced report with tags.

I hope you understand my wishes a little bit.....  :P

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Ok, so if you're new to ArchiMate I can only highly recommed you to download and read the "Syntax Only" excerpt from the best book about ArchiMate so far (that is "Mastering Archimate ed. II" by Gerben Wierda). Here is the direct link.

In short, you're right in saying that ArchiMate is very usefull for creating business, application and technoligy layers. But the key idea is to create such information, not only for an application but for the whole landscape, thus allowing you to answer a lot of questions (and impact analysis in one of them).

It obvious (but better say it again and again) that it's not manageable to document all and every parts of your architecture landscape, instead you should document only key processes/applications in high level and add details on a per project basis. With time, you'll soon end up with a useable model to answer a lot of questions.

JB

wassie

thanks JB, I really appriciate it! I will take a look at your links.

I will also follow a seminar for Archimate. Maybe that will help too.

Thanks a lot!

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

You're welcome.

QuoteI will also follow a seminar for Archimate. Maybe that will help too.

Mmm, that really depends. Who leads this seminar ?

Regards,

JB

wassie

lol, I agree. But I don't know yet  :P

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Send me a private message when you'll know who leads it and I'll tell you what to do ;-)