Support of folder shortcut links in jArchi Script Manager

Started by Manj75, June 14, 2021, 09:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manj75

I tried to create a folder shortcut link in the scripts folder and noticed that it is not supported, i.e. double clicking will not navigate to the linked folder.

I was hoping to create a structure of baselined scripts for the organisation in the coArchi GIT workspace so that these scripts can be committed/published to the remote repo.  Advising all in the team to set their scripts folder to that in the collaboration workspace.  The benefit of this is that it enables all to access the same set of well controlled scripts.

Having set the above I also want to encourage script creation, but without triggering coArchi to detect local changes in the workspace scripts folder all the time.  My best approach was to have a separate folder outside of the set scripts folder and have a shortcut link that is not traversed when checking changes for GIT commit.

I'd welcome any alternative/better approach to achieve this.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

I suppose you're using Windows. Try creating a symbolic link instead of a shortcut, this might work.

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Phil Beauvoir

Quote from: Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie on June 14, 2021, 11:52:59 AM
Hi,

I suppose you're using Windows. Try creating a symbolic link instead of a shortcut, this might work.

Regards,

JB

Hi JB,

that won't work. 

You can create shortcuts to script files by dragging and dropping the file from the desktop into the Scripts Manager (you get an option to create links) but this doesn't work for folders. I think there is a reason for this, something to do with relative paths in scripts.

Phil
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi Phil,

I don't speak about shortcut (which are files of their own and must be managed at the client application level) but links which are managed at the file system level (exactly like Linux or Mac OS). This is less known on Windows and requires to use command line to create them.

That being said, I didn't tried for this specific case.

Regards,

JB

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

I've just tested with "junction" link and it works! It would be best to use directory symbolic links (seems to have less potential issues) but I don't have the privilege on my (company) laptop.

Regards,

JB

Phil Beauvoir

Quote from: Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie on June 14, 2021, 13:00:53 PM
Hi,

I've just tested with "junction" link and it works! It would be best to use directory symbolic links (seems to have less potential issues) but I don't have the privilege on my (company) laptop.

Regards,

JB

Nice! Thanks for investigating. :-)

Manj75

JB - you're a Star, the suggestion worked perfectly.

on Win in cmd (Admin) use:

mklink /D <Link> <Target_Path>

works a treat - I'm happy  8)