Communication Path as Relationship

Started by mhvdboog, May 08, 2015, 06:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhvdboog

Hello,

First of all I would like to say what a great tool Archi is. I have been using it mainly for quick diagrams to use in discussions but I can see it starting to shape up to a very capable modelling tool.

I was wondering if it is possible at this stage to show a communications path as a relationship? I have looked at the documentation and searched this forum but couldn't find anything. If it isn't in there I suppose it is not that trivial to implement.

Kind regards,

Martijn.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

You've just pointed out one of the strangies of ArchiMate. Communication Path is not a relationship but an element, even if the standard suggests an alternative way of showing it which looks like a relationship.

So, short answer is "it's not possible and will never be".

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

mhvdboog

Hi JB,

You're quite right that it is a bit of a strange. I tend to use it in diagrams that are not necessarily ArchiMate correct may convey the information in a easier consumable format (especially for infrastructure architects). And I never understood how as an element it needs to be connected using association, but as a relationships presentation it 'somehow' connects directly to other elements.

Thanks for the quick reply anyway.

Regards,

Martijn.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Just for fun, on the oposite you have the group relationship which is deplayed as an element with nesting... These things and others have been pointed out by Gerben on its Mastering Archimate blog.

BTW - I would not recommend to to things that are not "ArchiMate correct" unless you master the language. Mainly because you take the risk to convey some false ideas about ArchiMate to your stakeholders (whatever they are), and in most cases there are an (or more) ArchiMate way to do it.

Needless to say that (if it's not already done) you should buy and read Gerben's book.

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.