Double Archi icons in Windows 11 Taskbar

Started by Xiaoqi, July 07, 2022, 01:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xiaoqi

Hello,

I just reinstall my PC with Windows 11, not aware this before, but on this fresh W11, I pinned Archi to the Taskbar, thus by default Archi icon is show (the left one).

However, when I click the icon to start Archi, after Archi is loaded, another Archi icon is added to the Taskbar (the right one).

I'm using the 4.10.0 beta. Will try to back 4.9.3 over W11 to have a look.

Regards,
Xiaoqi

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

FWIW, I've seen this happening on Windows 10 for all versions of Archi. So nothing specific to Archi 4.10 or Windows 11 IMHO.

That's only a very minor issue in my daily use of Archi, but if someone knows why this happens, maybe we can try to fix it.

Regards,

JB
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Phil Beauvoir

Hi,

yes this happens in Windows 10, too. It also happens with Eclipse itself. I think it may be that the exe actually spawns a separate launcher process before the actual Archi process.

There is a trick to get it to work...

Unpin Archi from the taskbar if it is already pinned, then:

1. Open Archi from the file explorer by double-clicking "C:\Program Files\Archi\Archi.exe"
2. Once Archi has completely launched, right-click the icon in the taskbar and select "Pin to taskbar"
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Alberto

Can confirm on Win10 too.  Also happens when you upgrade Archi.  The pinned icon will trigger the executable, but the process will spawn as a new icon on the dock.  I'll see if I can dig the technicalities of why the pinned icons behave different than just shortcuts, but the Windows registry is involved and that's usually not fun stuff. 

Xiaoqi

Thanks all and especially for Phil's tip, it's really working with these 2 simple steps.

My guess is, when we Pin before launching Archi, althogh it's in Archi icon, Windows is actually Pin the Eclipse executable (or it assume); after launching Archi first, the executable is correctly be identified as Archi.exe and then when Pin at this time, Windows is not confused ;-)

Thanks again, Xiaoqi

Quote from: Phil Beauvoir on July 07, 2022, 10:13:36 AMHi,

yes this happens in Windows 10, too. It also happens with Eclipse itself. I think it may be that the exe actually spawns a separate launcher process before the actual Archi process.

There is a trick to get it to work...

Unpin Archi from the taskbar if it is already pinned, then:

1. Open Archi from the file explorer by double-clicking "C:\Program Files\Archi\Archi.exe"
2. Once Archi has completely launched, right-click the icon in the taskbar and select "Pin to taskbar"