Release date for version 4.10

Started by mohitd, August 18, 2022, 16:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mohitd

Hello,

I was wondering when would the newer version of Archi would be available.

I know it is still in the beta release, which is not public.

Any tentative release date scheduled yet ?

Thank you!

Phil Beauvoir

It's complicated because it all depends on the timing of so many factors.

A big factor is the dependency on the Eclipse framework and which version to use. The current version of Archi is built on Eclipse 4.23 but it contains some bugs, such as Hebrew and Arabic text rendered the wrong way. So I would like to build on Eclipse 4.24 and that is the version used for Archi 4.10 beta 1. However, Eclipse 4.24 contains serious regressions like not working on the next version of macOS. So that version can't be used. So now I have to try Eclipse 4.25, which is currently in development due for release in September. Now that also contains many regressions in development...so that I have to test every build of Eclipse 4.25. So I'm hoping that that version will eventually work.

Because of the regressions and dependency problems of the Eclipse framework I estimate I now spend at least 4-6 hours a day working to accommodate Eclipse changes and regressions, testing on all platform, ensuring the build is successful, unit tests, etc.

And that time doesn't include time working on Archi itself. So I am now working 7 days a week on Archi and Eclipse issues. So this means updates are not as fast as I'd like them to be.

And there are other changes in the pipeline that I can't talk about that will require a lot of time. Oh and don't forget the support of jArchi, coArchi and the development of coArchi 2. All done effectively at the moment by one person.

So, with that background info out of the way, I hope to have a second beta of Archi 4.10 once I know whether Eclipse 4.25 is going to be stable. Final release could be September or October.
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

mohitd

Greetings Phil,

Firstly, thank you for your response. Also, I want to express my gratitude and appreciation for the hard work you and the developer community puts into making Archi easily accessible for all of us to use.

The reason I asked this question is that I wanted to make use of the new GraalVM engine to execute scripts using the jArchi plugin 1.2.1, which is already available to use.

Thank you!

Phil Beauvoir

> The reason I asked this question is that I wanted to make use of the new GraalVM engine to execute scripts using the jArchi plugin 1.2.1, which is already available to use.

Maybe you are interpreting the jArchi change log incorrectly? Nothing has changed, GraalVM is still there, still the same version. All it means is that jArchi 1.2.0 won't work with Archi 4.10 when it is released, so jArchi 1.2.1 is needed.
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

mohitd

Hi Phil,

So, I understood from the changelog that the jArchi plugin 1.2.0 could not be used to write scripts for version 4.10 of Archi. What I meant in the earlier post is that 1.2.1 is already available, but the beta release of 4.10 is not public yet. Also, my primary motivation is to inquire about the tentative release date for the stable 4.10 release.

And my primary intention in using Archi 4.10 is to utilize the GraalVM script engine's features previously not supported by the Nashorn engine which

I have started another topic in the jArchi discussion channel, where I discuss why I want to use some advanced scripting features. Please check out the topic here: https://forum.archimatetool.com/index.php?topic=1240.0

Thanks,
Mohit

Phil Beauvoir

It means simply that when Archi 4.10 is released, or you use the next beta version you will need jArchi 1.2.1.

> And my primary intention in using Archi 4.10 is to utilize the GraalVM script engine's features previously not supported by the Nashorn engine

There is nothing new here. GraalVM is already present in jArchi. All that means is that it is the default engine.

Xiaoqi

Have adopted the Archi 4.10 beta 2 this week, so far it's running smoothly, and I can also feel the speed and coArchi model sync/commit are getting faster, thanks and will continue experiencing!

Phil Beauvoir

Quote from: xiaoqi on September 07, 2022, 21:36:08 PMHave adopted the Archi 4.10 beta 2 this week, so far it's running smoothly, and I can also feel the speed and coArchi model sync/commit are getting faster, thanks and will continue experiencing!

Hey Xiaoqi,

Thanks for the positive feedback, I appreciate it! I'm trying hard to improve things all the time. :-)

Regards,

Phil