CoArchi with just local Git (no Remote server)

Started by rchevallier, August 16, 2022, 14:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rchevallier

Hi all

Is it possible to use the coArchi plugin with Git without a remote Git server ? The idea is just to track evolution in a private model, before deciding to publish later to the team

Thanks

Phil Beauvoir

Hi,

not with the current implementation of coArchi. You might be able to set it up by editing the back-end git config files.

I have been working on coArchi version 2 where adding the remote is optional (and can be changed). Still more work to be done on it.

Phil
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

In the past, I've used a hack which seems to work: use "file://" as URL and any non null string as user/password. Of course, use at your own risk, blah, blah, blah ;-)

Regards,

JB
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Xiaoqi

Hi,

It's interesting question, I've explored some online discussions and done a quick testing on my Windows PC (believe it's also working on any other OS), working. Here Use_Archi_coArchi_on_Local_Git please find the brief notes for your reference.

Feel free to check and do test on your end.

Also, I put Git server on my same PC, it would need to add folder as a share and grant "NETWORK_SERVICE" related permission to local network work so that you can allow your teammate to connect; definitely, it would be better to setup a dedicated local server other than use a PC, here is just a Lab.

Good luck!

Hi Phil and JB, in the bottom of the file, I see the difference on the folder structure, however, as testing, it can record the commit history on multiple branch, I think from the version control aspect it's not bad ;-)

Not yet see any other negative points so far. Comments?

Regards,
Xiaoqi

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Quote from: xiaoqi on September 07, 2022, 23:40:29 PMHere Use_Archi_coArchi_on_Local_Git please find the brief notes for your reference.

Feel free to check and do test on your end.

Thank you for sharing. Note that what you are doing is not a setup of a server but only a local repository (there are no background services listening for network connection). Thus you end up having the same git repository twice on your  computer (the one you've manually created and the "clone" in Archi's folder.

The trick I shared is simplier because it only rely on the git repository managed by Archi. It does so by providing a remote URL which is accepted even though nothing can be pushed to it. Other than that, you still have the full power of coArchi (commits, branches...). And of course, no need for a local git client.

I think you should try this trick ;-)

Regards,

JB

Xiaoqi

Hi JB,

Thanks for clarifying, I'm not too much distinguish the git server and git client concept during the "lab", ;-)

Tried your tricky way, hope in correct step, using "file://" in Windows as URL and just free typing user name and password, as attached, the Workspace is able to be added, and I can do the commit with able to see the history, coArchi is working perfectly.

One difference I can see between your method to my steps that create one local Git folder and initial first, is the model in your way will be only stored in the roaming folder, e.g. C:\Users\v0cn037\AppData\Roaming\Archi4\model-repository\file___; while my steps have one local folder to be updated when we have model commits, although the folder structure in model is not created properly, but all of the elements/diagrams are reflected like the way we use one real Git server.

Interesting playing...

Xiaoqi

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Quote from: xiaoqi on September 10, 2022, 15:29:18 PMcoArchi is working perfectly.

Great!

Quote from: xiaoqi on September 10, 2022, 15:29:18 PMOne difference I can see between your method to my steps that create one local Git folder and initial first, is the model in your way will be only stored in the roaming folder, e.g. C:\Users\v0cn037\AppData\Roaming\Archi4\model-repository\file___; while my steps have one local folder to be updated when we have model commits

If you want, you can change the default workspace location in Edit > Preferences > Collaboration.

Regards,

JB

Xiaoqi

Quote from: Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie on September 11, 2022, 14:00:57 PMIf you want, you can change the default workspace location in Edit > Preferences > Collaboration.

Thanks JB, learn new tip from you everyday ;-)

Regards, Xiaoqi