AutoSave

Started by shinkinson, June 09, 2022, 19:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinkinson

Probably need to raise this on some "feature request" chat but here it goes. Any chance we can have an autosave option on this wonderfool tool? Corporate policies mandate restarts periodically and if you don't remember to save lots of work goes away upon a restart.

Phil Beauvoir

Hi, this was raised before and, as I said in that thread, I'm not prepared to handle cases of corrupt data. Is it really so hard to press Ctrl-S?

https://forum.archimatetool.com/index.php?topic=1079.msg5766
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

shinkinson

Fair point was think more of create something similar to the .bak file every X mins until I do Ctrl+S if outstanding save is pending.

When you have multiple windows and are doing a lot of context switching in calls etc sometimes you forget to do Ctrl+S. This is for those moments  :)

Phil Beauvoir

Yes, I can understand your use case. I did try it once in a test build. the problem was a noticeable delay in the UI as it saved, even though it was a background task. Perhaps it needs more investigation at some point.
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

bigyin

I have to admit to having had lost data and time to recode based on this, so if feature was available I would be using it even if it slowed down every 5 mins. My ctrl and s keys are the ones almost worn out now :) :)

g4alwong

Quote from: bigyin on June 13, 2022, 15:58:00 PMI have to admit to having had lost data and time to recode based on this, so if feature was available I would be using it even if it slowed down every 5 mins. My ctrl and s keys are the ones almost worn out now :) :)

I've also on multiple occasions lost hours of work when my PC shut down due to windows update or if my machine crashed.   I'd love something like an autosave to .BAK file or something similar.

Love the tool and great work.

Xiaoqi

I can share the feeling of needing this feature if you're working on one local single model.

However, besides what Phil mentioned about performance concern, I think it needs more investigating on the nessisity of the use case when your team are working in the repo with coArchi, the model in workspace is not one single *.archimate file anymore, but split into folders and elements base on your model structure, I can imagine simply save it into *.bak would be not difficult, but restore that to your model into workspace would be potential "disaster".

Still think putting "Ctrl+S" as your hobby when working hours on your lovely model.

Just 2 cents, regards,
Xiaoqi