Support life modelling on a DB-based repository

Started by boboA, October 25, 2022, 16:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boboA

Hi,

AFAIK Archi does currently not support a multiuser environment in which modellers work concurrently on a DB-based repo.

Regarding the architecture of Archi: would it even be possible to develop such a persistence plugin? It would probably mean that higher layers of Archi are able to forward changes as small differential transactions to the persistence layer and deal with feedback (e.g. concurrent updates of the model).

P.S.  I'm aware of @HervĂ© s DB import / export plugin - that is not what I'm looking for.

Phil Beauvoir

Hi,

there's also CoArchi, the collaboration plug-in that uses Git for sharing models:

https://www.archimatetool.com/plugins/#coArchi

But there are no plans (at least for me) to develop a DB plug-in.

Phil
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

boboA

Understood. Would it be possible regarding Archi's internal architecture? I made an assumption about one aspect that is needed in my original post.

Phil Beauvoir

I think it would be possible by extending the underlying Eclipse Modelling Framework or using additional EMF components.
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

boboA

Ok, Archi uses Eclipse EMF as a foundation. Then it should be relatively easy to persist a model in a DB by using e.g. Eclipse CDO. Has someone tried this?

Unfortunately my days as a Java programmer are a long time ago...

Phil Beauvoir

Quote from: boboA on October 26, 2022, 21:39:46 PMOk, Archi uses Eclipse EMF as a foundation. Then it should be relatively easy to persist a model in a DB by using e.g. Eclipse CDO. Has someone tried this?

Unfortunately my days as a Java programmer are a long time ago...

To retrofit Eclipse CDO would mean re-writing all of the underlying EMF code in Archi and adding all kinds of additional handling. i.e not "relatively easy" and not something that I would want to do.