The CarTool (Archi plugin) now let's you import your reference architectures

Started by barrel, October 31, 2020, 09:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barrel

Hello all,

It has been a while since I posted something related to the CarTool - the Archi plugin used to model the EIRA (European Interoperability Reference Architecture). This is what they mention about the CarTool:

The Cartography Tool (CarTool) brings together high level support for the EIRA as a plug-in for the popular
ArchiMate modelling tool Archi®. It includes both editing features, to model solutions using the EIRA, and
querying features to query an EIRA-based Cartography of solutions.

True, but I wanted to share something that I consider a killer feature and I guess that many of you will like it, regardless whether you are using the EIRA.

The CarTool allows you to import your own reference architecture and use it to populate a solution you are working on.

Let me show you using some screenshots.

Once you have imported the CarTool plugin (obviously), you can add your own reference architecture like this:

The reference architecture (or any model that you consider a reference) can now be selected, it appears in a dedicated non-editable pane. You can now select any building block from your reference architecture and add it to the solution on which you are working. Like this

Once you add the building block, a form is presented with the properties you have modelled in your reference architecture

This is a great way to 'enforce' the use of properties when modelling, to reuse building blocks etc.

Check it out, I think it is a killer feature!
The tool is open source, so you can change anything you like. Even better, contribute!

More information:
CarTool: https://ec.europa.eu/isa2/solutions/eira_en

Kind regards,
Barry

Phil Beauvoir

Thanks for sharing this, Barry.

To be clear, I believe that to use the CarTool one needs to use Archi version 4.6. Is this correct?

Phil
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

barrel

Phil Beauvoir

OK, here it says 4.6:

https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/collection/european-interoperability-reference-architecture-eira/solution/cartography-tool/release/v310

"The CarTool v3.1.0 plugin has been tested with Archi® version 4.6. This version plugin will not work with any version lower than 4.6 and with the latest version of Archi®. If you have an Archi® erlier version to 4.6, please, upgrade to it."
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

barrel

I'll contact them and see if they can test it on both Windows and Mac machines using the latest version of Archi.
If succes, they should adapt their statement, thanks for the heads up!