Relations matrix

Started by qrt, August 06, 2020, 11:29:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qrt

I am new to the forum and apologize if the question has been asked beforehand, I did a quick search and nothing popped up.

The Relations folder grows very quickly. Has there ever been considered building a Relations Matrix that is possible to use to get an overview of the different relations an your different elements has?

I know we have the visualizer, but this is only showing the elements you have selected.

A relations matrix would show your relations much in the same way as "Help -> ArchiMate relationships"

AlexL

You need to build relationdhip matrix via sqlquery in HTML report. Or use this https://gist.github.com/ubibene/d311fbbc12b7c6bbaff500b75e624a21

qrt

Thanks for the workaround, but it is not feasible to use that way. It should, IMO be integrated into Archi.

Phil Beauvoir

Quote from: kdrangej on August 06, 2020, 22:22:28 PM
Thanks for the workaround, but it is not feasible to use that way. It should, IMO be integrated into Archi.

As with all feature requests, it depends on the feasibility and general usefulness of the feature (and, of course, time and resources). I'm not sure what problem this one is trying to solve.

Apart from the Visualiser one can see objects' relationships in the Navigator tab and also in the Properties tab.

Quote from: kdrangej
The Relations folder grows very quickly.

You can create sub-folders.
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

Jean-Baptiste Sarrodie

Hi,

Quote from: kdrangej on August 06, 2020, 22:22:28 PM

Could you please elaborate on why this workaround is not feasible ?

FWIW, creating such matrix won'y be a standard feature anytime soon as this is mainly a reporting feature for which nobody can define a "default" behavior or use-case (do relationships have to be filtered, do you want to see structural relationships as elements hierarchies...). That's the reason why the best way of achieving this is to export information and create a matrix in a spreadsheet. If you have a clearly define use-case, then a jArchi script is certainly the best solution as you can create a nice html table and open it in a new tab inside Archi.

Other than that, there a several options to "browse" the model and the analysis tab or the navigator can maybe solve your need.

Regards,

JB
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

yellek

Relationship matrices are a common feature in architecture tools (e.g. Sparx) and required by many stakeholders. Reports are OK for this IMHO but I think this is a common enough use case to warrant some attention.

Phil Beauvoir

Quote from: yellek on February 14, 2024, 22:41:16 PMRelationship matrices are a common feature in architecture tools (e.g. Sparx) and required by many stakeholders. Reports are OK for this IMHO but I think this is a common enough use case to warrant some attention.

As Archi is free and open source software please use the features that are available, or implement your request using a jArchi script or provide an implementation via a pull request with a code contribution.