Help with EA Sparx <-> Archimate model sharing

Started by spencer_uk, September 05, 2015, 11:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spencer_uk

Hi

I really like the Archimate tool - great job. Functional, fast and easy to use. However I can't use it at work... due to the closed environment I am bound to EA Sparx.

Is there a way I can share models that I create in Archimate with those I do in EA Sparx? I occasionally have a late night thought - can scribe it in archimate but then have trouble getting it to work. Any ideas?

Thanks
Spencer

Phil Beauvoir

Hi Spencer,

there is an ArchiMate Exchange Format published by The Open Group, see http://www.opengroup.org/subjectareas/enterprise/archimate/model-exchange-file-format

Archi 3.3 supports this exchange format (as do Corso and BiZZdesign), so I think it would work out for you if Sparx implemented it as well. Perhaps they might consider it soon, seeing as how it will be a requirement for certified tools... ;-)

Phil
If you value and use Archi, please consider making a donation!
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

spencer_uk

cheers Phil. I'll take a look at it and report back.

spencer_uk

sadly v10 of EA Sparx I was running with doesn't support it. I might try to give it a bash with the csv import/output but not holding out much hope :( anyone else got any ideas pls?

Phil Beauvoir

I'd say it was up to Sparx to get on board. ;-)
Ask your ArchiMate related questions to the ArchiMate Community's Discussion Board.

steen.jensen

I used BEASI pluggin and Zoom, there you got Archimate Exchange Format support.
Now I can exchange models both ways beetwen Archi and Sparx  EA.

Phil Beauvoir

steen.jensen

Sorry. BEASI is an Swedish plugg-in for SPARX EA that givs 100% Archimate support in SPARX, it in the official SPARX plugg-list.
And Zoom was my expression only :) when my Archi modell was imported to SPARX instanly.
Now SPARX supports the Archimate Exchange format nativly, so BEASI is only needed if anyone wants 100% Archimate support.

We (Stockholm County Government) are using Archi for Archimate modelling and feeding the SPARX repository and ouer Reference Architecture with Archimate models from different department.
If Archi whould have nativly DB support we have selected that tool instead of SPARX EA as Archi is much easier to use and learn för normal architect. SPARX is more like an Nerd-tool for software developer, complicated but powerfull if you understand it,

Phil Beauvoir

Aha, now I understand. :-)

We're working on possibilities for DB support. ;-)

ceri

Quote from: spencer_uk on September 14, 2015, 21:25:38 PM
sadly v10 of EA Sparx I was running with doesn't support it. I might try to give it a bash with the csv import/output but not holding out much hope :( anyone else got any ideas pls?

To be fair to Sparx, the latest version is 12.1, build 1230.  Archimate exchange format has been supported since build 1229.

shadysand

Hi All,

I hope it's OK to resurrect this topic :)

Is there any update on the compatibility between Sparx EA and Archi?

I tried to export my model in Archi (3.3.2 build 201606031150): File -> Export -> Model to Open Exchange File...

and then I tried to open it in Sparx EA 13 (trial/Ultimate)--got "Unrecognized DB error".

Why I need it: a client wants templates in "format that can be opened and edited in Sparx". I haven't used Sparx much yet and it looks quite heavy to me, so if possible, I'd prefer to work in Archi and export to Sparx.. Is the BEASI plugin the only option? It's quite expensive, I doubt that the client will accept paying for it, they would rather put me directly on Sparx then.. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Phil Beauvoir

Hi,

Other than someone writing an Archi plug-in to export in Sparx format I can't think of any options.

Phil

steen.jensen@sll.se

Sparx 13 supports OpenGroup Exchange format both for import & export.
You just havet to find it in the meny/ribbon maze.
Create a packade with Archimate 2/3 model.
Search  for Exchange format import/export not xml or xmi

Prajnanpad

Nice to see that all is evolving in a good shape  ;D
Thanx for this thread, and concrete informations  8)
Praj